FOOTBALL: Lembo says he encouraged Snead to graduate before pursuing NFL career

DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY
DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Since being signed to the Carolina Panthers practice squad in September, former Ball State wide receiver Willie Snead stands to make six-figures this year. But it cost him finishing his degree, against football head coach Pete Lembo's advice.

Lembo was honest in telling Snead his degree would be more valuable in the long run. After all, even if Snead did get picked up by an NFL team, his spot on the roster would likely not be permanent.

“Unless something unusual happens, most of the guys that are going to get an opportunity from places like this are going to be later-round draft choices or free agents,” Lembo said.

He said there are scenarios where education becomes secondary, but that is only if the player is likely to be an early-round draft pick. With summer courses and an early bridge program, Snead is about one semester from graduating.

Most players do graduate before pursuing the NFL. Once a player declares for the NFL Draft, he forfeits any remaining athletic eligibility, but can return as a student.

Tuesday, former Ball State defensive back Sean Baker was moved up to the Atlanta Falcons active 53-man roster after being on the practice squad since 2013. The ball-hawk was drafted by Tampa Bay in 2011 but later found himself being moved from team to team.

Lembo said the 6-foot-1, 209-pound safety was prepared to find work in the business world if things didn’t work out because he graduated. The same situation holds for former quarterback Keith Wenning and former defensive end Jonathan Newsome, who both graduated in May before pursuing NFL careers.

“It’s a tough business -- it’s pure business,” Lembo said. “ You have to know that going in.”

That was his message to Snead, too, before the wide out decided to forgo his senior season with the Cardinals. He declared for the 2014 NFL Draft because he felt his stock had peaked.

Snead later sat at home and watched each draft selection go by without any team calling his name. The Cleveland Browns rang his phone after the draft concluded and signed him as an undrafted free agent, setting the 5-foot-11 route runner’s NFL career in motion.

“I’ve talked to my agent, and I don’t want to take this step if I can’t finish my education,” Snead said in January. “I won’t be playing football forever, and I know I’ll need that piece of paper later.”

The confidence that pushed Snead to pursue the NFL can help him overcome the adversity he’s sure to face as he moves from team to team, Lembo said.

“The reality is that, even if they make it, it might be a short time in the NFL,” Lembo said.