Elevators bring new ideas, celebrities get into more trouble

Olympic champion swimmer Michael Phelps looks with disappointment at the clock after taking 7th place in the men's 100m freestyle at the Phillips 66 USA Swimming National Championships at William Woollett Jr. Aquatics Center in Irvine, Calif., on Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2014. (Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

Erin Gladieux is a junior telecommunications and journalism major and writes ‘Pop Culture Catch Up’ for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily reflect those of the paper. Write to Erin at engladieux@bsu.edu

"Law & Order: SVU" doing famous elevator fight episode

Wednesday's episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit may have looked a little familiar. The NBC drama drew inspiration from the infamous elevator fight between Jay Z and Solange Knowles for the new episode. 

It’s not too much of a shock considering the show has a history of writing scripts from newsworthy events. Although the silent security video has lingering questions about what led to the brawl, we can safely assume the situation set in the SVU episode was different from what happened at the Met Gala that night in May.

Amanda Bynes and Michael Phelps each earn second DUI

Amanda Bynes seemed like she had her life going in the right direction after her DUI arrest in April of 2012. She was enrolled in the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising and was frequently seen at the gym. 

It turns out, though, that Bynes was kicked out of school weeks ago. According to sources inside the school, she was acting high most of the time and wearing sunglasses inside, and she was even paying other students to do her work. 

As for getting in shape, other gym-goers say she spent more time looking in the mirror than on any machine and often confronted people for “looking at her.” 

Bynes was arrested Sunday morning after police determined she was under the influence of a controlled substance and was charged with a misdemeanor.

The “Most Decorated Olympian” was arrested in Maryland early Tuesday morning. Almost 10 years after his first DUI, Phelps was pulled over just a few miles from the Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore, where he was gambling for eight hours straight. 

Sources say he was tossing back beers until 1 a.m. 

Phelps was quick to issue an apology. 

He took to Twitter saying, “Earlier this morning, I was arrested and charged with DUI, excessive speeding and crossing double lane lines. I understand the severity of my actions and take full responsibility. I know these words may not mean much right now but I am deeply sorry to everyone I have let down.”