Destiny is September’s Bestselling game, PS4 Outsells Xbox

According to the NPD Group’s September sales report, Destiny is the top selling physical game while the PS4 dominates the hardware sales.

Before the report was issued, Sony claimed that the PS4 is once again the bestselling console for the month, with Destiny being most frequently played on the console. Some speculated that Microsoft’s Xbox One might be the most sold hardware after a prediction by analyst Michael Pachter, but this turned out to not be the case.

In terms of other hardware sales, Nintendo has seen success with the 3DS and newly released Super Smash Bros. Sales for the Wii U have also increased about 50 percent during August 2014.

During the month of September, hardware sales were up by 136 percent, $432.7 million. September 2013 only saw $183.4 million. The Xbox One and PS4 combined make up for 85 percent of the overall sales of hardware since November 2013—a 200 percent increase total for total console sales.

Because of Grand Theft Auto V’s successful launch in September 2013, comparing this September’s software sales was expected to be a challenge. However, sales are currently up for most games currently out.

NPD analyst Liam Callahan states, “The launch of Activision-published and Bungie-developed Destiny in September 2014 proved successful in a number of ways: year-to-date through September data it is the top-selling video game on a unit basis, making it the most successful launch of the year so far as well," wrote NPD analyst Liam Callahan. "But an even more prestigious feat was the fact that Destiny had the best launch month of all-time for any new IP in video game software.”

The following is the NPD’s list of top selling, physical video games for September 2014:

1. Destiny (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3)

2. Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, PS3, XBO)

3. FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, PS3, XBO, Wii, PSV, 3DS)

4. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)

5. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, XBO, PC)

6. NHL 15 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)

7. Minecraft (360, PS3)

8. The Sims 4 (PC)

9. Disney Infinity 2.0 (360, PS3, NWU, PS4, XBO)

10. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4, 360, PS3, XBO, PC)

-----

Source: GameSpot

Image: IGN