Trustees rename rec center in honor of President Jo Ann Gora

Board also names football complex, approves funding increases

<p>President Jo Ann Gora receives a gift at Spring Commencement on May 3. Later that evening at her retirement celebration, the Board of Trustees announced the renaming of the recreation complex to the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</p>

President Jo Ann Gora receives a gift at Spring Commencement on May 3. Later that evening at her retirement celebration, the Board of Trustees announced the renaming of the recreation complex to the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

In honor of her 10 years of service, the Board of Trustees renamed the recreation complex to the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

On Saturday evening, the university hosted President Jo Ann Gora's retirement celebration in the rec center. There, the board announced the name change.

"Her true legacy will live on in our university, which is forever changed by her leadership," a press release said.

Earlier in the day at  Spring Commencement, Gora gave her tearful closing remarks, saying she felt like she was part of the Class of 2014.

Once she finished speaking, the graduates stood up to "chirp" for her. She responded with the chirp sign.

NEW FOOTBALL COMPLEX

On Friday, the board named the newest football complex after leaders in the Cardinal Commitment campaign. It will be named the Ronald E. and Joan M. Venderly Football Team Complex.

The complex will be attached to the west side of the John W. and Janice B. Fisher Football Training Complex to provide a dedicated meeting space for the team. It also will lead to the repurposing of other athletic space.

"We are deeply grateful to the Venderlys for their support," Bill Scholl, athletic director, said in a press release. "This new facility will give our student-athletes another competitive advantage on the field. It's also a sign of an even brighter future.”

The Venderly family is also know on campus for the Ronald E. and Joan M. Venderly Scholarship Endowment, which funds scholarships for more than 30 Ball State students.

"The lives of students are changed by the extraordinary generosity of the Venderlys," Gora said.

FUNDING INCREASES

The trustees approved a 3 percent increase in funding for student organizations and another $200,000 in funding for special events for one year.

The members also approved a salary increase of 3 percent for faculty and professional employees, which will be mostly merit based.

"Despite our budget constraints, we remain committed to doing all we can to bring faculty salaries in alignment with our peers," Gora said.

The budget for student employees was also increased by 2 percent to allow the university to hire more students.