Students taking summer classes increases by 2.6 percent

Summer basic tuition

1-11 credit hours

In-state students: $277 per credit hour

Out-of-state students: $488 per credit hour

12-18 credit hours

In-state students: $3,602 flat rate

Out-of-state students: $3,602 flat rate, plus $211 per credit hour

19+ credit hours

In-state students: $3,602 flat rate, plus $277 for each credit hour above 18

Out-of-state students: $3,602 flat rate, plus $488 for each credit hour above 18

Ball State’s summer enrollment has seen an increase of 2.6 percent from last year, or 219 more students. A majority of the students are taking at least one online course.

As of May 16, the university’s summer on- and off-campus enrollment is 8,499 students. For some, summer classes are needed to graduate on time or to get ahead in classes.

This year’s enrollment numbers could change as students enroll for Second Summer Session courses, said Irah Modry-Caron, Ball State’s associate director of data management, analysis and reporting for the office of institutional effectiveness.

Of the 8,499 students enrolled, 37.89 percent are taking on-campus courses and 62.11 percent are taking off-campus courses.

Ball State’s online summer courses also have seen an increase by 4 percent, Modry-Caron said. Of the registered students, 54.8 percent are taking at least one online course.

For 2014, U.S. News & World Report’s Best Online Programs ranked Ball State’s business, education and nursing graduate programs in the top 20 nationally and its bachelor’s degree programs in the top 30 nationally.

Ball State’s summer tuition costs also increased in the past year, by $7 per credit hour for up to 11 and $90 for the flat rate of 12 to 18 credit hours for in-state students.

For out-of-state students, it remains cheaper to take off-campus or online courses.

This year’s summer courses cost $277 per credit hour for in-state students and $488 for out-of-state students, according to the Bursar’s website. If a student were to take 12 to 18 credit hours, it costs a flat rate of $3,602 plus $211 per credit hour for out-of-state students.

Students must pay a technology fee. This fee costs $58 for up to three credit hours, $110 for four to six credit hours and $168 for seven or more credit hours.

Students also have to pay service fees if they’re taking at least one main campus course, just as they do in the academic year, though it is cheaper. The service fees are per credit hour — using the above credit brackets, the prices are $272, $366 and $485.

The Summer Semester can help students avoid schedule conflicts during the academic year or help students take care of a pre-requisite class.

Samantha Smith, a senior journalism major, said she’s living in town for the summer and decided to take a few classes. However, the way online classes have changed from Smith’s freshman year has made it challenging.

“It was do it at your own pace,” she said. “Now you have to be logged in to get credit. It’s hard with two jobs.”

For her on-campus classes, Smith said a small class size means her professors are more flexible.

“We get a lot of one-on-one work, and they will be flexible with me being tardy sometimes because of my work schedule,” she said.

Ali Albalhareth, a special education graduate student, said the rate at which classes go through material can be concerning in terms of how much the students actually absorb.