SOFTBALL: Cardinals win in first round of MAC Tournament

<p>Sophomore Briana Evans hits the ball in the game against Toledo on April 6 at the Ball State Softball Complex. Evans led the team in hits with three in May 7's first-round game of the Mid-American Conference Tournament. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</p>

Sophomore Briana Evans hits the ball in the game against Toledo on April 6 at the Ball State Softball Complex. Evans led the team in hits with three in May 7's first-round game of the Mid-American Conference Tournament. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Ball State Cardinals defeated the Miami RedHawks by a score of 7-4 in the first round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament this afternoon.

The Cardinals used a four-run sixth inning to pull away and take a commanding lead.

Ball State had 12 total hits in the game, led by leadoff hitter Briana Evans and first baseman Taylor Rager, who won a MAC award Tuesday, with three each. Senior third baseman Audrey Bickel had two RBIs in the game. Lauren Schroeder added a three-RBI double in the sixth inning.

Sophomore Nicole Steinbach pitched a complete game in the circle. She allowed nine hits and four runs, only two of which were earned. Steinbach had five strikeouts and allowed four walks.

With the win, Ball State will advance in the MAC Tournament. The team will take on Ohio at 1:30 p.m. Thursday at Firestone Stadium.