FOOTBALL: Linebacker finding transition to NFL 'comfortable'

Colts linebacker Jonathan Newsome sits in the locker room at the Colts Complex during rookie camp May 17. Newsome is a former defensive end for Ball State and played for two years after transferring from Ohio State. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Key dates

OTA offseason workouts:
May 27-29, June 2-4 and June 9-12
Mandatory minicamp: June 17-19
1st preseason game: 7 p.m. Aug. 7 at Jets
1st regular season game: 8:30 p.m. Sept. 7 at Broncos
Source: NFL.com

Colts linebacker Jonathan Newsome sits in the locker room at the Colts Complex during rookie camp May 17. Newsome is a former defensive end for Ball State and played for two years after transferring from Ohio State. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

A former Ball State defensive end and new Indianapolis Colts’ linebacker Jonathan Newsome is ready to do anything to win over his new teammates.

“Coming into the [NFL], I have to be able to prove myself,” Newsome said. “I have to earn the respect of these guys around here, so whatever I have to do, that’s what I’m going to do.”

Newsome’s first opportunity to impress his new coaches and teammates Saturday when he participated in the Colts’ three-day rookie minicamp.

The camp took place at the Colts Complex on 56th Street in Indianapolis and consisted of position drills and some light, full-team scrimmaging.

Newsome said he felt comfortable during practice, and even though his role on the team has yet to be revealed, he said his versatility of being able to play on special teams will allow him to contribute right away.

Last season, the Colts’ special teams finished in the bottom third of the league in most of the major categories. The unit surrendered the second most yards per punt return, 13.7 and surrendered the 6th highest kick return average, 25.2. The team finished 9th and 11th in punt and kickoff yards allowed.

While Newsome will more than likely get a chance to play immediately on special teams, a spot as a starting linebacker remains his long-term objective.

Colts’ head coach Chuck Pagano, who drafted Newsome after seeing him play on film, said the 6-foot-3, 247-pound player can be a factor as a backup pass rusher and has liked what he’s seen already.

Key dates

OTA offseason workouts:May 27-29, June 2-4 and June 9-12

Mandatory minicamp: June 17-19

1st preseason game: 7 p.m. Aug. 7 at Jets 

1st regular season game: 8:30 p.m. Sept. 7 at BroncosSource: NFL.com

“At first glance, [Newsome] looks really good,” Pagano said. “It’s what we saw on tape, and what our guys evaluated.”

One player who Pagano has compared Newsome to is current Colts’ linebacker Robert Mathis.

Newsome is listed as an inch taller and 12 pounds heavier than Mathis.

Mathis led the NFL with 19.5 sacks in 2013 and is the Colts’ franchise sack leader with 111 sacks in 163 games, but he was recently suspended for four games for violating the league’s performance-enhancing drug policy.

While Mathis’ suspension opens the door for Newsome to see increased reps, the rookie said he has not changed the way he is preparing himself and will stand behind his teammate.

“It’s unfortunate,” Newsome said. “All I can say is we are going to hold [Mathis] down as far as being teammates and all that, but [the suspension] doesn’t affect my approach. I have the same approach as I had before, and that was to come out here and take somebody’s spot.”

The minicamp finished Sunday, but Newsome said he will continue to study the team’s terminology as he readies himself for training camp and the start of the season.

Though he has entered a new chapter in his life, Newsome said he will never forget where he came from and remains thankful for the opportunities Ball State football head coach Pete Lembo gave him.

“[Lembo] definitely believed in me,” Newsome said. “He definitely saw the good in me even when I made mistakes, and he stuck with me. I appreciate him for that, and I’m going to keep putting on for Ball State and keep representing the program well.”