BASEBALL: Team earns 4 of 6 MAC specialty awards

After being voted the No. 26 team in the nation in this week’s Collegiate Baseball Poll, the Ball State baseball team was again recognized for its strong regular season by dominating the Mid-American Conference’s postseason awards.

The Cardinals won four of the conference’s six specialty awards,and also had six players named to the All-Mac First and Second teams.

Sean Godfrey was named MAC Player of the Year. The senior outfielder ended the regular season hitting .336 with 52 RBIs and nine home runs.

Catcher Jarett Rindfleisch earned the MAC Freshman Player of the Year. Rindfleisch spent most of the season hitting cleanup and providing Godfrey with protection. The freshman led the team with a .354 batting average, finished second with a .513 slugging percentage and tied for fourth with 31 RBIs.

Zach Plesac was awarded as the conference’s Freshman Pitcher of the Year after finishing the season ranked fourth in the nation with 11 wins. Plesac boasts a 2.32 earned-run average, while striking out 58 batters in 77.2 innings.

The league’s Coach of the Year award was given to Rich Maloney. After leaving Ball State for a stint at Michigan, Maloney returned last season and has quickly guided the university’s baseball program back into the national spotlight.

Godfrey, Rindfleisch, Plesac, second baseman Ryan Spaulding and ace T.J. Weir were all named First Team All-MAC, while third baseman Sean Kennedy earned a spot on the second team.