Legislators call meeting 'productive' with Gora on intelligent design

Legislators called Thursday’s meeting with president Jo Ann Gora “productive” in a joint press release sent today.

Sen. Dennis Kruse, Sen. Greg Walker and Sen. Travis Holdman met with Gora to discuss the treatment of Eric Hedin, a professor of astronomy, and the teaching of religious ideas.

“Yesterday’s meeting was a great opportunity to discuss an issue that’s important to all of us – academic freedom,” the senators’ joint statement said. “The meeting was very productive, and we appreciated the insight of Ball State officials in attendance.”

The three senators, along with Rep. Jeffrey Thompson, who was not mentioned in the statement, previously had sent a letter requesting Gora to release more information about the investigation into claims made against Hedin in June 2013.

The letter also took issue with Gora’s statement that intelligent design was a religious idea and therefore had no place in a science course. The legislators questioned if this statement infringed on the idea of academic freedom.

Instead of releasing information, Gora invited the legislators to Ball State’s campus to speak on the matter.

“We’d like to thank president Gora for inviting us to sit down and share our perspectives on this topic,” the legislators said in the statement.

Ball State has not released a statement, and Gora had no comment.