Documentary to showcase underrepresented communities in India

WHAT
“Birth 1871,” free film showing

WHEN
7 p.m. April 1

WHERE
Burkhardt Building, room 100

A new film depicting the lives of discriminated people in India will show on campus tonight.

The South Asia Center’s CapAsia program, the Departments of Sociology and History and Freshman Connections will host the screening of “Birth 1871: History, the State, and the Arts of Denotified Tribes of India” at 7 p.m. in Burkhardt Building Room 100.

Dakxin Bajrange Chhara, a multimedia producer who creates educational films and theater, directed the film.

“I wanted to document the formal and informal history of my community and of the denotified tribals,” he said.

According to the press release, the film depicts the world of hereditary crime. Police and society have criminalized and discriminated against these denotified groups, which includes entertainers, travelers, trades folk and nomads.

Professor Nihal Perera, director of the CapAsia program, said he met Chhara in 2009 during his sabbatical, where he taught urban planning at a university near Chharanagar, a town in India.

In 2011, Perera said he worked with the director on a community project with 15 Ball State students to engage in urban development of the town as part of academic project.

There have been screenings of the film in other parts of the country. Chhara said some Indian American audiences were shocked about the discrimination still occurring in India.