New program looks to teach new students about alcohol, sexual offenses

Perceived use of alcohol vs. actual use

Ball State actual use of alcohol
Never: 18.5 percent
Not in last 30 days: 12.8 percent
Once or more in 30 days: 66.9 percent
Used daily: 1.7 percent

Ball State perceived use of alcohol
Never: 4.8 percent
Not in last 30 days: 3.2 percent
Once or more in 30 days: 75.7 percent
Used daily: 16.4 percent

Source: National College Health Assessment, Ball State data Spring 2011

• A new online program will teach incoming students about alcohol and sexual assault.
• The program was created to comply with federal law.
• Indiana and Purdue universities already require students to take part in a similar program.

A new online education program looks to equip all incoming students with information on partying smart, sexual violence and relationships.

Starting in the fall, all incoming students — freshmen, transfers and graduate — will participate in an online harm-reduction program called “Think About It,” created by the company Campus Clarity.

“Providing [students] with this kind of info before stepping foot on campus will be something some students will appreciate,” said June Payne, director of Counseling and Health Services.

Through the program, students will participate in scenarios, watch videos and click on links to learn about alcohol risks and sexual offense.

The program was created to comply with the Campus SaVE Act, passed in 2013, requiring universities to provide “primary prevention” programs on sexual misconduct and related offenses by October 2014.

The “Think About It” program will go beyond sexual misconduct and also address alcohol issues, said Thomas Gibson, associate vice president for the Division of Student Affairs.

“Think About It” will not replace already existing education efforts within the university, like BASICS online alcohol screening tool and AlcoholEDU for students with sanctions.

Gibson said this program will connect students to resources on campus. The program will be tailored to Ball State with the university’s policies and available resources included.

“It may be a way for us to interact with students who may want or need assistance in terms of resources but may not have worked up nerves to seek it out on their own,” he said.

Natalie Roman, a junior telecommunications major, said it can be hard to reach freshmen on the issue of alcohol, even with scare tactics.

“Just letting people know where to go for information doesn’t help the problem at first,” Roman said. “People aren’t going to learn the consequences of alcohol without experiencing the consequences sometimes.”

-Natalie Roman

Max Butler, a freshman telecommunications major, said teaching students how to party smart if they choose to party is a good idea.

“How I was raised, I was aware of alcohol issues, but I can see how it would be helpful for others,” he said. “I don’t think people will take the time, but it is recommended.”

Ball State has not previously required incoming students to take a harm-reduction course, unlike Indiana and Purdue universities.

In the past, all incoming students at IU had to take AlcoholEDU. Starting in the 2013-2014 school year, however, students participated in MyStudentBody, which addresses alcohol and sexual assault issues.

Purdue currently requires all incoming students to take AlcoholEDU.

Gibson said incoming students will receive an email in August that instructs them to take the course online, which will take around one hour to complete.

“[We will] nag them until they do it,” he said. “There isn’t going to be a penalty or any sanctions. We don’t want this to be a punitive experience.”

Students won’t be shut out of the program after they go through it, and new students can access it all year long.

“I hope they will experience it as a way for the university to express a measure of caring about their experiences at the university,” Payne said.