MEN’S BASKETBALL: Ball State senior Jesse Berry reflects on career

Senior guard Jesse Berry poses with his high school coach Scott Radeker following victory over Central Michigan on March 1. Radeker coached Berry at Lafayette Jefferson High School in Lafayette, Ind. DN PHOTO DAKOTA CRAWFORD

One win didn’t change the tone of an entire year.

The Ball State men’s basketball team will still finish the 2013-14 season with no more than six victories. For the seniors recognized before Saturday’s 74-71 victory over Central Michigan, they knew this year would be difficult.

They knew they’d be playing under a new head coach, helping to build a new locker room culture and setting the stage for future Ball State basketball teams.

But they had to keep their personal interests in mind, as well.

Senior guard Jesse Berry knew after a conversation with his high school coach Scot Bunnell that he could accomplish both.

“I can’t say I wanted to transfer, but it was in my head,” Berry said. “I trusted Scott 100 percent, and he told me, ‘That guy is what you want.’”

“That guy” was first-year head coach James Whitford. Berry had already played three seasons under former Ball State head coach Billy Taylor. Building a relationship with a second coach in four seasons wasn’t at the top of Berry’s to-do list. He had a degree to complete and a professional basketball career to pursue.

But as Bunnell said of many coaches in Whitford’s position, building relationships with seniors isn’t always at the top of their to-do list, either.

Whitford quickly proved to Bunnell that he was interested in more than just next year’s star players. After he arrived at Ball State, Whitford called Bunnell to ask about Berry’s personality and how he could best get to know him.

“What that shows me is it’s more than basketball,” Bunnell said. “Whitford wants to see them do well socially and academically, as well.”

Berry is now close to graduating and pursing professional basketball overseas. He said Whitford’s coaching philosophy helped him to learn about himself and continue to grow through his senior season.

By holding Berry accountable for his mistakes and forcing him to correct them, Whitford made the most of a drab season. The team’s current 5-23 record didn’t satisfy players, but they believe the future is bright for Ball State.

“This year didn’t go to well,” Berry said. “But in two or three years, you’re going to hear about Ball State basketball.”

He said he was glad to be a part of the transition year and to have a part in building something bigger than himself. Bunnell said Berry was always loyal and committed to his team in high school.

In his time at Lafayette Jefferson High School in Lafayette, Ind., Berry captured two sectional titles under Bunnell and broke school records. He also gained a fan base that continues to support him today.

During Senior Day on Saturday, a row of fans held signs that congratulated Berry on completing his collegiate career.

Berry said having Bunnell in the stands to support him in his final home game meant everything to him. He’s lost contact with many of the connections made during high school, but Bunnell has always stayed in touch.

Bunnell helped Berry make the decision to finish his career at Ball State. After Saturday’s win, Berry said he wouldn’t have it any other way. He said he’s had the best years of his life here, and he can always say he won the last home game of his career.

“That’s amazing,” Berry said. “The season we’ve had has been so down, so this means a lot not just to me, but for the team.”