Newest trustee is first non-Hoosier, has Ball State background

<p>Ball State&#8217;s newest Board of Trustee member is first non-Hoosier</p>

Ball State’s newest Board of Trustee member is first non-Hoosier

Quick Facts about Renae Conley
-Went to Burris, K-12
-Earned an undergraduate accounting degree from Ball State in 1979
-Earned an MBA from Ball State
-Lived at home and worked full-time during school
-Her mother, two older brothers and mother-in-law are all Ball State graduates
-Has served on the advisory board to the Miller Business College and on the Ball State Foundation board

The newest member of Ball State’s Board of Trustees is the first non-Hoosier member, but she has strong Ball State roots.

Renae Conley, appointed by Governor Mike Pence to the Board in early march, grew up in Muncie and attended Burris Laboratory School and Ball State before beginning a career as an energy executive.

Conley said she hopes to use her connections outside the state to increase Ball State’s national recognition.

“A benefit of being able to have trustees outside the state [is] a lot of people graduate and move somewhere else,” Conley said. “A lot of it is networking and getting people to know and recognize what a great school Ball State is.”

She has served as CEO of Entergy Louisiana and currently lives in Palatine, Illinois.

Two years ago, the residency requirement for a Ball State trustee was revised; now, trustees need only be U.S. citizens.

Conley said this position is one of “the highest honors” she has ever received. In the past she has served on the advisory board to the Miller College of Business and the Ball State Foundation Board.

Tony Proudfoot, vice president for Marketing and Communications, said it is important to have trustees who are talented and committed, and not to refuse someone based on where they live.

“We have such [talented and commtted0 alumni and supporters both within and beyond Indiana,” he said.

Conley said Ball State has many nationally ranked programs but she wants to see alumni engage more with the university.

“People at IU, they seem to be so proud and enthusiastic about their school and continue that into being alumni,” she said. “I’m not sure if we have that same level at Ball State. It is a great school; it just isn’t as well known.”

Board Chair Rick Hall said at the last meeting the Board is pleased with Conley’s appointment.

“She is an accomplished energy executive who has been an active member of our foundation board,” Hall said on March 19. “We’re really excited to have her.”

Q-and-A with Renae Conley

Q: What expectations do you have for being the new trustee?
A: I have a lot to learn. Personally I love to learn new things and so I think from that perspective — just understanding how it all works and hopefully being able to add a lot of value to Ball State. I don’t have any preconceived notions of anything.

Q: What is your background with Ball State?
A: I grew up in Muncie. My entire education was a Ball State education. I went to Burris when Burris was a neighborhood school. I walked to school and I went there kindergarten through 12th grade. We didn’t have a lot of money growing up and my dad was focused on education. One of the huge benefits in Muncie was Ball State was there.

Q: What do you remember about your time at Ball State?
A: I would take all of these art classes and gym classes that were 1 credit hour and those were always the most fun. The men’s volleyball team was great at that time; we always enjoyed the volleyball. The village was a really hot spot. I remember hanging out at The Chug. I always thought that Ball State was pretty relaxed, but a fun place to be.

Q: Where do you hope to see Ball State in the future?
A: It will continue to hopefully have a national recognition for the quality of many of its programs. People will view them as a great investment in education at a reasonable price. I think that’s one the things that makes Ball State a special school is that you have a great education and its still affordable.”