Changes to SAT look to better predict college success

• Changes to SAT made to increase college success predictability.
• Test takers will no longer be penalized for incorrect answers.
• The writing portion is now optional.

Students applying for Ball State and other universities after the Spring 2016 semester will have the option to take an updated SAT test.

The new test will return to a 1,600 point scale and the writing portion will be optional. The test will consist of evidence based reading, writing and math. Students will also no longer be penalized for guessing on the test because wrong answers will no longer count against them.

Kate Levin, the College Board associate director of communications, said the change in test scores is a result of levies against the current SAT structure.

“Our goal is to support college readiness and success for more students and to make sure that those who are prepared take full advantage of the opportunities they’ve earned through their hard work,” Levin said.

She said the main goal of the new SAT is to work toward making the test a better predictor for college success.

Levin said the writing portion was made optional because of how little the essay could predict college success, compared to the rest of the test. She also said feedback from various college admissions was split on how helpful the essay was.

The SAT has typically been the more popular test, but in 2012, for the first time, mores students took the ACT than the SAT, according to the National Center for Fair and Open Testing.

While some changes make the SAT more similar to the ACT, Levin said there is still a huge difference between the two.

“The College Board is making a commitment to increase the college and career readiness of all students by offering a solution that goes well beyond simply administering another test – and well beyond what is offered by the ACT,” Levin said. “The ACT measures across a large domain, while the redesigned SAT will measure fewer things much more deeply.”