Trustee president announces retirement plans

Hollis Hughes stepped down as president of the Ball State Board of Trustees after three years in the position, but will remain a trustee for two more years to fulfill his term.

He called his last three years the “opportunity of a lifetime.” He has served on the board for 25 years: a member in 1989, secretary in 2006 and president in 2011. Hughes graduated from Ball State with a bachelor’s degree in 1965 and later with a master’s degree in 1972.

Rick Hall, previously secretary on the board, has succeeded Hughes as president. Hall joined the board in 2007 and became secretary in 2011, according to the university’s website. Like Hughes and many other members of the board, Hall is graduate of the university. He received a bachelor’s degree in 1989, the first year Hughes served as a trustee.

Hall called Hughes a “humble soul” in Friday’s board meeting and thanked him for his time serving the university.

“He has 40 years of engagement with the institution, a lifetime of service, and done so with class and unselfishness that is really special,” Hall said.

Hughes called Ball State President Jo Ann Gora, who will retire at the end of the semester, one of the most talented leaders in higher education today and said working with her and her staff has been an “incredible show to watch.”