THIS CHARMING MUSIC: Spring TV shows

Take some advice: schedule a visit to your eye doctor right now because your eyes will be glued to your television for the rest of the semester.

Actually, don’t do that. It’s not healthy.

But if you find downtime from your studies, there is a lineup of shows waiting to invade your television set this semester.

New Shows:

“Black Sails”
Channel: Starz
Premiere: 9 p.m. Jan. 25

It’s about time we had pirates on television. Seriously, it’s 2014. “Pirates of the Caribbean” is one of the highest grossing film franchises. How did tales of debauchery and swashbuckling on the open seas not overtake every network in the past decade?

Oh, that’s right. Pretty boy vampires.

But “Black Sails” is here to rectify that problem.

The pirate drama will follow the exploits of feared pirate Captain J. Flint, played by Toby Stephens, and Long John Silver, played by Luke Arnold, 20 years before Silver befriended the young Jim Hawkins in Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic novel “Treasure Island.”

“Intelligence”
Channel: CBS
Time: 10 p.m. Mondays

“Intelligence” tells the story of Gabriel Vaughn, an intelligence operative who is given a super-computer microchip that connects him directly to the global information grid and gives him the ability to hack into any data center.

Josh Holloway, who played on “Lost” as the rugged, yet charming Sawyer, takes the lead role in the series.

I was a huge fan of his performance on “Lost,” so including this one on the list is a no-brainer. Holloway gets to beat up a lot of baddies while toying with the pinnacle of human technology.

Many will see similarities between this show and “Chuck,” except there’s more butt kicking and less humor in “Intelligence.” And it works.

“Intelligence” premiered Jan. 7, but it got changed to Monday nights.

“Helix”
Channel: Syfy
Time: 10 p.m. Fridays

“Helix” is about a team of scientists who travel to an advanced research facility in the Arctic to investigate a disease outbreak. Upon arriving, they find themselves in a situation that could present humanity’s salvation or its extinction.

The “killer disease that could destroy humanity” plot might turn off some viewers because that’s the current trend on television. But “Helix” has the potential to capitalize on this trend and make it fresh again. At least, I hope it does.

The science-fiction thriller premiered Friday night on Syfy.

“The 100”
Channel: CW
Premiere: 9 p.m. March 19

“The 100” is set in a future where earth’s civilization has been destroyed by nuclear war and the survivors are the inhabitants of the international space stations in orbit. A century later, humanity returns to earth to see if it is habitable.

This show has a lot of potential for social commentary, considering that a nuclear holocaust is a nasty, but possible reality for us. Hopefully, the writers will capitalize on this.

“The 100” premieres March 19 on CW.

“The Spoils of Babylon”
Channel: IFC
Time: 10 p.m. Thursdays

“The Spoils of Babylon” is a new comedy spoof that tells an unbelievable, century-long story of a family who made a fortune in the oil business. The show consists of all-star actors Tobey Maguire, Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig, Jessica Alba and many others.

Will Ferrell’s inclusion all but guarantees a few knee-slappers, so the rest of cast has their comedic work cut out for them.

“The Spoils of Babylon” premiered Thursday evening on IFC.

Returning Shows:

“Hannibal”
Channel: NBC
Premiere: 10 p.m. Feb. 28

“Hannibal” serves as a modern reimagining and prequel to Thomas Harris’ critically acclaimed novel “Red Dragon.” The show explains the tumultuous relationship between FBI profiler Will Graham, played by Hugh Dancy, and cannibalistic psychiatrist Hannibal Lecter, played by Mads Mikkelsen.

The first season received critical acclaim for its cinematography and the acting abilities of the lead actors, particularly Dancy.

He tops the actors who played role before him, Edward Norton in “Red Dragon” and William Petersen in “Manhunter,” by portraying Graham in an eccentric, mentally unstable fashion that is true to the original novel.

The second season will premiere Feb. 28.

“Bates Motel”
Channel: A&E
Premiere: March 3

“Bates Motel” is another series that serves as a modern reimagining and prequel to a classic horror series. The show explains how Norman Bates, the antagonist of Alfred Hitchcock’s 1960 film “Psycho,” transformed into an obsessive, homicidal maniac.

What really gives me the creeps is the relationship between Norman, played by Freddie Highmore, and his mother, Norma Bates, played by Vera Farmiga. For the sake of not spoiling the show, I’ll just say this: it’s downright disturbing. I wouldn’t expect anything less.

The second season will premiere March 3 on A&E.

“The Walking Dead”
Channel: AMC
Premiere: 9 p.m. Feb. 9

The fourth season of “The Walking Dead” is averaging a whopping 13 million viewers per episode, and it is looking to gain even more steam for February’s midseason premiere.

For those of you that don’t know and have been living under a rock, the drama is set in a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by zombies.

Some of you might not find any reason to like “The Walking Dead,” but you won’t find any excuse to dislike it either.