KILLER CROSSOVER: Ball State football won't repeat last year's bowl loss

Junior wide receiver Willie Snead celebrates the win against Central Michigan University. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

For a Ball State team with just 13 seniors, it would be easy to lose sight of the task at hand.

It comes down to this one game. One more game for a group of already decorated seniors about to cap off their legacy at Ball State.

They’ll take advantage of the opportunity in front of them, despite a strong opponent in the GoDaddy Bowl.

Arkansas State has been in the GoDaddy Bowl for the last three seasons. The players have more experience here, they’ll have more fans in attendance and they’ll be ready.

Complacency can set in for teams in bowl games as the players enjoy the parades and celebrations. They forget there’s a game coming up.

That won’t happen to Ball State on Sunday, though. The leaders on the team won’t let it. This season’s senior class includes players like Keith Wenning, Connor Ryan, Zane Fakes, Nate Ollie and Jordan Hansel.

These guys have meant as much to Ball State football as anybody in recent history. They’ve been through two coaching staffs, roster turnover and more losses than they probably care to count.

On top of that, Ball State is clamoring for its first bowl win in the program’s history. A win tonight would complete arguably the best season in school history, snapping a six-game bowl losing streak.

Many of these players were a part of the team that lost handily to Central Florida last season.

The players obviously never wanted to lose the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s bowl, but now, last year’s loss will be this year’s motivation.

With questions about Ball State retiring Wenning’s No. 10 jersey, this is the game to solidify his legacy as the best quarterback in Ball State history.

Ball State coaches said Wenning will remember this game for the rest of his life. Wenning doesn’t want that memory to be of a loss.

Between his arm and an offense stacked with weapons, Ball State will light up the scoreboard and the faces of Ball State fans tonight.

That’s why, when the clock hits zeros tonight, Ball State won’t be the team with its head down, slumping as it walks off the field.

Those who remember last year’s bowl game won’t let it because they’re aware of the task at hand.

Matt McKinney is a junior journalism and telecommunications major and writes ‘Killer Crossover’ for the Daily News. His views do not necessarily reflect those of the newspaper or The Daily. Write to Matt at mdmckinney@bsu.edu.