Board of Trustees raise Ball State room and board around $365

•Room and board rates were raised by about $365
• Ball State’s rates are below national average
• Premium plan students won’t see a change

Students returning to university housing next year will pay about $365 more for regular accommodations.

Ball State Board of Trustees voted to raise room and board costs 3.8 percent at a meeting Friday. Rates have increased 2.8 percent on average each year over the past five years.

Students already on the premium plan will continue to pay the 2013 price.

8082_roomandboard0101o.jpg

Randy Howard, vice president of business affairs, said Ball State does all it can do to control cost.

“[Our rates are] still at or below Indiana average room and board rates,” he said. “We are offering a product of still much higher quality than our competitors.”

Between 2010 and 2013, Purdue University raised room and board rates by 7.8 percent total. The university’s rates were reduced by 2.5 percent for the upcoming 2014-15 school year. While Indiana University has yet to release their 2014-15 prices, the Board of Trustees has raised rates on the most requested room option by 16.5 percent in the past four years.

In the same time Ball State has risen its rates 10.6 percent.

The meeting also acted as the end to what Board of Trustees president Hollis Hughes called the “opportunity of a lifetime.”

Hughes stepped down after three years as president. He has served on the board for 25 years: a member in 1989, secretary in 2006 and president in 2011. Hughes graduated from Ball State in 1965 with a bachelor’s degree and later with a master’s degree in 1972.

Richard Hall, previously secretary on the board, succeeded Hughes as president. Hall joined the board in 2007 and became secretary in 2011, according to the university’s website.

Hall called Hughes a “humble soul” in Friday’s board meeting and thanked him for his time serving the university.

“He has 40 years of engagement with the institution, a lifetime of service, and done so with class and unselfishness that is really special,” Hall said.

Hall said as an alumnus he has benefited from his time at Ball State and wants to continue the university’s traditions.

“I am honored to be entrusted with this responsibility,” Hall said. “I am so proud that Ball State provides an incredible educational experience for the citizens of Indiana with such remarkable efficiency.”