Women’s Swimming and Diving: Ball State earns first victory of season

Freshman Courtney Mudd pushes through the last stretch of the 100-meter back swim during the Doug Coers Invitational on Nov. 23. DN PHOTO BRITTANY OVERSTREET

The Ball State women’s swimming and diving team earned its first victory of the season as the Doug Coers Invitational concluded Saturday at the Lewellan Aquatic Center. The Cardinals came away with 15 individual victories to go along with three relay wins to finish with a final score of 847.

The first victory of the day came in the 200 medley relay as seniors Mallory Miles, Bridgette Ruehl and Haley Richter teamed up with junior Carlena Magley and finished with a first place time of 1:46.77.

Miles, who was a part of four wins, won the next event of the day when she finished with a final time of 4:41.72 in the 400 yard IM. She also came away victorious in the 200 yard butterfly, posting a final time of 2:08.93.

Richter, who had six victories herself, came away with a win in the next race finishing with a season best time of 55.76 in the 100 yard butterfly. The senior also posted individual wins in the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 58.39 and the 100 yard freestyle with a final of 53.33.

Emily Wisolek earned two individual wins of her own. The first came in the 200 freestyle as she posted a winning time of 1:55.78, and then she followed that up with a win in the 200 backstroke finishing with a final time of 2:06.79.

Ruehl continued what she has done all season to this point, and swept the 100 and 200 yard breaststrokes. She finished the 100 with a final time of 1:04.75, and touched the pad with a final of 2:24.07 in the 200.

The Cardinals’ final individual win on the day came courtesy of senior Cheyanne Jackson who won the 1650 yard freestyle with a final time of 18:10.34.

Ball State added two more victories at the invitational when Wisolek and Richter were accompanied by freshman Audrey Rodawig and junior Jordan Vanwinkle to win the 800 yard freestyle relay with a final of 7:48.56, and then the relay team of Richter, Wisolek, Vanwinkle and Magley finished off a successful day by winning the 400 yard freestyle relay posting a 3:33.55.

The Ball State Cardinals women’s swimming and diving team will be off until Dec. 5 when the team travels to Oxford, Ohio for the Miami Invitational.