WOMEN'S SWIMMING AND DIVING: Ball State Falls to Toledo

Members of the Ball State women's swimming and dive team cheer at the swim meet against Ohio University on Oct. 26 at Lewellen Aquatic Center. DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY

Less than a day after competing in East Lansing, Mich., against Michigan State University, the Ball State women’s swimming and diving team was back in action Saturday against the University of Toledo.

In their second Mid-American Conference match-up of the season, the Cardinals fell behind early and were only able to come away with victories in five of 16 events. They lost the dual meet by a final score of 171-124.

Ball State’s first win of the day came in the fifth event, as
senior Bridgette Ruehl got the Cardinals on the board with a victory in the 100-yard breaststroke. Ruehl also came away with a win in the 200-yard breaststroke finishing with a time of 2:20.85.

It was the third time in three meets where Ruehl posted victories
in both events.

The Cardinals’ lone other individual swimming victory came courtesy of senior Haley Richter, as she narrowly finished before Toledo’s Brooke Edwards with a time of 52.43.

In the final event of the day, the relay team of senior Emily Wisolek, junior Carlena Magley and freshmen Jessica Extine and Audrey Rodawig came in first with a finishing time of 1:39.22.

Ball State was also able to come away with a win in the 1M dive
competition, as freshman Brittany Penn finished in first with a
final score of 221.62. Fellow freshman Quinn Bixler and sophomore
Madie Zirzow came in second and third.

The Cardinals will be back in action at 6 p.m. on Nov. 8 when Ball
State welcomes Miami University at the Lewellen Aquatics Center.