Volunteers help clean up tornado-ravaged Kokomo, Indiana

Volunteers and residents continue to shovel debris and gather anything salvageable from one of several destroyed homes near Home Ave. in Kokomo, Ind. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP
7254_oklahoma_01f.jpg

Josh Yeager, an Indianapolis resident, lugs debris from one pile to the next as volunteers attempt to sort and gather the remains of a house that was on East Ricketts Street on Monday in Kokomo, Ind. Phyllis Rawlins owns the house that her husband built as their first home about eight years ago. She mentioned to volunteers that all she is worried about finding is her wedding ring. About three dozen people were injured in storms in the city Sunday, according to The Associated Press. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

7255_oklahoma_02f.jpg

A car settles in the foundation of the house that was on East Ricketts Street in Kokomo, Ind. The car had pinned a woman underneath it, following the storm Sunday until rescue workers were able to free her. The woman was released from the hospital with bruises, according to volunteers on the scene. Phyllis Rawlins, 59, owns the house that the storm destroyed. Before the storm hit, her daughter-in-law and four friends took shelter in the basement, said Loren Sitzes, a family friend. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

7261_oklahoma_04f.jpg

Volunteers and residents continue to shovel debris and gather anything salvageable from one of several destroyed homes near Home Avenue in Kokomo, Ind. Volunteers on scene were using face masks and eye protection to avoid injury from the particles of insulation being shoveled from the wreckage. Kokomo resident Loren Sitzes said most of the volunteers came from the church that the home’s owner, Phyllis Rawlins, attends. About 30 volunteers helped clean up the property Monday. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

7255_oklahoma_02f.jpg

A construction payloader assists with cleanup as dozens of volunteers continue to pile the debris. The two-story house on the property was left in pieces with just the roof remaining intact. Water flooded where the kitchen once was until it was shut off in the late afternoon. Volunteers will continue to clean up the property this week. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP