More than half of all Hoosiers unprepared for disasters

More than half of Hoosiers aren’t prepared for a disaster, according to a recent Indiana Department of Homeland Security study.

More than 2,500 Hoosiers completed the survey that included various questions about emergency plans and kits. Of those who responded, more than half did not have at least three days worth of essentials, including food and water. More than half also reported not having emergency preparedness kits, which includes flashlights, first-aid supplies or extra pet supplies.
According to the IDHS press release, the following reasons were cited as to why Hoosiers do not have a disaster preparedness kit: “I don’t think there will be an emergency in my area; I’m too busy; I don’t know what to put in a preparedness kit; it’s too expensive to put together extra supplies; and I just don’t think these items are necessary.”

Garret Walton, a public information officer for the Indiana Department of Homeland Security, encourages people to prepare.

“Indiana is susceptible to severe weather … tornadoes, flooding and thunderstorms,” he said.

Walton said is it important to have an emergency kit as it can take first responders up to three days to go through debris and rubble. The emergency kit allows for people to survive for three days without any outside assistance.

“It’s a piece of mind,” he said. “You know that if something were to happen, you and your family will have the resources you need to make it through. If you’re prepared, you are more capable of aiding others.”

For campus, the Ball State Crisis Management Team has developed guidelines to follow in case of emergency.

Residence halls implemented its procedures for a tornado warning Sunday.

According to the Ball State website, Ball State recommend students stay inside and away from outside walls and windows, seek shelter in a basement and avoid using elevators. If possible, students should continue to monitor the weather shouldn’t leave the area until the storm is over. When the storm has passed and the all-clear is given, the emergency warning sirens will sound with a 30-second blast.

Taylor Wesling, a junior sports administration major, said he doesn’t prepare for natural disasters.

“It just never occurred to me that it would happen,” Wesling said. “It’s just so rare. If I lived in hurricane area, I would prepare.”

Walton discussed the impact that a natural disaster can have on someone.

“It’s going to knock you off balance,” he said. “It throws your normal every day out of sync.”

For more information on Ball State’s Emergency Preparedness visit the university’s website.