5 things to know today

Aerial Views of New Haven and the Yale Campus

Police: Yale campus safe, no gunman found
NW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Yale University was locked down for nearly six hours Monday as authorities responded to a phone call warning that an armed man was heading to shoot up the school that they are investigating as a likely hoax.

Police did not find a gunman after SWAT teams searched the Ivy League campus and a lockdown was lifted Monday afternoon. No one was injured, police said.

“New Haven is safe. The Yale campus is safe,” said New Haven Police Chief Dean Esserman.

A 911 call was received at 9:48 a.m. from a man at a pay phone about a mile from the campus who said his roommate was on the way to the university to shoot people, said Officer David Hartman, a New Haven Police spokesman.

Esserman said he was leaning toward the incident being a hoax and that a witness who reported seeing someone with a rifle likely saw a law enforcement officer.

“Though it is starting to tilt in the direction of an innocent mistake, it started with a purposeful and malicious call,” Esserman said, vowing to track down and arrest the person who made the call.

Ohio HS football rape grand jury charges 4 more
STEUBENVILLE, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio school superintendent and three others were charged Monday with lying or failing to report possible child abuse after an investigation prompted by the rape of a nearly passed-out 16-year-old girl by two high school football players.

The investigation included crimes committed in connection with the case against two members of the celebrated Steubenville High School football team as well as a separate alleged rape that happened in April 2012, four months before the assault that drew nationwide attention over allegations that prosecutors should have charged more players.

Hacker activists helped propel coverage of the rape case and press allegations of a cover-up, including reposting of a 12-minute Internet video made within hours of the attacks in which a former Steubenville student joked about the victim.

Yemen: Airstrikes kill 12 al-Qaida suspects
SANAA, Yemen (AP) — The Yemeni Interior Ministry says government airstrikes have killed 12 suspected al-Qaida militants in the country’s south.

The statement Monday said the militants were killed in a strike this week in Abyan province that left their vehicle burned to a shell. The statement didn’t specify the day of the attack.

Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, which is based in Yemen, is considered by the U.S. to be the most dangerous offshoot of the terror organization in the world.

Yemen’s military waged a wide offensive against the group last year, driving militants out of their strongholds in the south of the country. Since then, the group has carried retaliatory attacks, while the U.S. has launched dozens of drone strikes targeting suspected members.

UN: Syrian government and opposition to meet
GENEVA (AP) — Syria’s government and opposition will meet for the first time in an attempt to halt the nearly 3-year-old civil war that has killed more than 100,000 people, the United Nations said Monday.

Previous attempts to bring the two sides together have failed, mainly because of disputes over who should represent the opposition and the government, Syrian President Bashar Assad’s future role in the country, and whether Iran, Saudi Arabia and other regional powers should be at the table.

The announcement comes the day after Tehran and world powers agreed to a six-month nuclear deal in Geneva.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged the government and opposition to help the Jan. 22 conference to be held in Geneva succeed by taking steps to stop the violence, provide access for desperately needed humanitarian aid, release detainees, and help hundreds of thousands of refugees and internally displaced people return to their homes.

Brazil’s woman president: country ‘still sexist’
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Brazil’s first woman president said the country is “still sexist and prejudiced.”

In comments on Twitter marking the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, Dilma Rousseff said crimes against women have “shamed” Brazil.

Rousseff tweeted Monday that “combatting violence against women is a precondition for a more just, egalitarian and citizen-friendly nation.”

Brazil enacted a 2006 law aimed at curbing domestic violence. But a recent report in Rio de Janeiro’s O Globo newspaper showed said rates of women killed through domestic violence were higher in 2011 than 10 years earlier.