3 things to take away from #BSUvsNIU

Senior quarterback Keith Wenning advances the ball upfield against Northern Illinois University on Nov. 13 at Huskie Stadium. DN PHOTO MARCEY BURTON

Mat Mikesell is a senior journalism major and writes ‘Miked Up’ for the Daily News. His views do not necessarily reflect those of the newspaper. Write to Mat at mlmikesell@bsu.edu

How the game was decided

For the third straight year, Northern Illinois beat Ball State, this time with the 48-27. The score was deadlocked heading into the fourth quarter, but Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch mastered a drive late in the quarter for the game-deciding touchdown.

For the second time, Lynch escaped a sack to convert a big play. He hit wide receiver Matt Williams to the Ball State 37-yard line. Two plays later, he hit a wide open La’Ron Brown for the 37-yard touchdown to give Northern Illinois the lead.

Ball State had an opportunity to tie the game, but running back Jahwan Edwards was stuffed on a fourth and short, giving the ball back to Northern Illinois.

Wenning, Lynch prove best in MAC

Both quarterbacks were billed as the best quarterbacks in the Mid-American Conference all season. Wednesday night the duo showed why. Both finished with efficient stats, Wenning throwing for 35 for 49 with 324 yards and a touchdown. Lynch finished 26 for 32 with 345 and a touchdown.

Both Wenning and Lynch also ran for a touchdown on consecutive drives in the second quarter. Wenning used his favorite target Willie Snead often in the game. Snead finished with 12 catches for 121 yards and a touchdown.

Lynch’s favorite target on the night was Tommylee Lewis, who had 71 yards on 12 catches.

MACtion lived up to its billing

The Ball State-Northern Illinois game was dubbed many names, including the MAC Game of the Year in its pre-game hype.

With the growing brand of MACtion on weekday games, everyone expected a crazy, high-octane game.

The crowd at Huskie Stadium and those that turned in on ESPN2 weren’t disappointed. Whether it was a Jordan Lynch sack turned to a 10-yard run or a Ball State forced fumble after a big pass play to Da’Ron Brown, there were unpredictable plays and highlights from the Bronze Stalk Trophy Game.