Superheros run for Riley Children's Hospital

More than 260 runners and walkers participated in the Ball State Dance Marathon FT5K at the Alumni Center this afternoon.

Participants came dressed in superhero costumes, following the theme of the run and walk. The walk is one of six fundraisers BSUDM hosts throughout the year. Funding will benefit the Riley Children’s Hospital in efforts to help those patients in need.

“Just know that when you participate in the FT5K, or anything you do Dance Marathon related, we are contributing to something bigger than ourselves," said Zach Brown, BSUDM director of media relations. "We are doing this because we love to help these kids.”

The Wayland’s Fun Run was introduced today in honor of Riley patient Wayland Villars, who died this year.

“As one campus at Ball State University, we can unite under one cause of helping these kids at Riley Children’s Hospital," Brown said. "We can make such a huge difference and absolutely shatter goals that we have and get a ton of money to these kids."

Allisoan Almen, a freshman at Butler University, said she participates in a lot of events supporting cancer research.

“My best friend is on the committee and my mom is a social worker at Riley, and this whole cause is really great and it means a lot to me. I love helping out,” Almen said.

Last year the FT5K raised more than $2,000. The organization won’t find out this year's outcome until Monday.

“I think it’s a really good program because it gives money back to Riley Hospital, and even if it’s not the 5K, we have a lot of other events that are good to get involved in," said Amanda Stecker, member of the fundraising committee. "There’s a fund where we give toys and things to help the kids be happier in the hospital."

BSUDM hosted its first fundraiser of the year, a golf tournament in early September. They raised about $2,100.

The next fundraiser will be a "Space Jam" themed basketball tournament in early November.