Study abroad centers change programs to run exclusively during summer

What: Three Ball State study aboard centers will only be open during the summertime
Centers:Costa Rica, Australia and London
Goal: To increase participation of Ball State students by keeping prices near that of on-campus studying

Beginning in the summer, three Ball State study abroad centers will be open during the summertime only.

John Jensen, director of study abroad, said the Costa Rica, Australia and London programs are not cutting back, but are being revised to become an option for a wider variety of students who prefer to travel over the summer months.

Jensen said he thinks students prefer the centers for summer classes because there are a limited amount of available courses during the academic year and some students are not able to sacrifice a semester of credit.

The Rinker Center’s goal is to increase participation of Ball State students by keeping prices near that of on-campus studying, Jensen said, although some programs are more expensive depending on air travel and other special accommodations.

“Money may come and go, but these experiences and memories will last me for the rest of my life,” Hannah Davis, a junior history major, said.

Davis traveled throughout Europe in the spring while studying at the London Centre.

The support of merit and financial based scholarships are offered for Ball State’s study abroad program, which the Rinker Center hopes will allow more students to travel abroad.

“Global citizenship is more than a buzzword,” Jensen said. “With such rapid advances in communication and transportation technology, it is the new reality for many university-age citizens of all countries.”

Senior elementary education major Leah Byers studied in England last summer, and she said she felt the program benefited her.

“Studying, teaching and traveling throughout Europe broadened my horizons and made me more appreciative of everything I have, even of how fortunate I was to have been a part of such a wonderful program,” she said.