FOOTBALL: Horactio Banks dedicated Ball State touchdown to Demarius Reed

He just wanted one.

Sophomore running back Horactio Banks wanted a touchdown to celebrate what was and what could have been for a childhood friend. Early Friday morning, police found Eastern Michigan University wide receiver Demarius Reed dead in an off-campus neighborhood.

In the 38-17 victory against Western Michigan University on Saturday, Banks said he wanted to get a touchdown for Reed, an old friend.

At the 9:03 mark in the second quarter, Banks found his way to the end zone on a 38-yard touchdown run. It was his sixth of the season, but none carried the same weight.

“I wanted to get him one because I knew he’d never be able to play the game again,” Banks said. “I was just thinking, get him one. Anything I could do for him today — just get him one.”

After breaking a tackle behind the line of scrimmage, and then stiff-arming a defender to the ground at the 17-yard line, Banks was all alone in pursuit of the score that served as a memorial for his former teammate.

When he finally got the one, it was a humble celebration in the corner of the Western Michigan end zone.

“I just wanted to bow down and take a knee for him,” Banks said.

He grew up with Reed. They played Pop Warner Football and went on to play side by side at the Simeon Career Academy in Chicago.

Prior to attending Eastern Michigan, Reed visited Ball State. Though he could have played alongside Banks for the Cardinals, he decided to play for the Eagles — they offered him the opportunity to play wide receiver.

Ball State scouted him as a defensive back. Banks said Reed was always an athlete growing up — a guy that could play either side of the ball.

Though Reed and Banks parted ways then, they stayed close. Banks said they talked every day. If not a phone call, it was a text conversation or through Twitter. They’d make it a point to critique one another after games and offer advice for future opponents.

On Sept. 21, Banks and Reed had gone head-to-head as Ball State traveled to Ypsilanti, Mich., to open its Mid-American Conference schedule.

Before the game, there were friendly exchanges over Twitter between the two and other Ball State players.

The tone going into Ball State’s most recent game against Western Michigan was much different.

On Saturday, Ball State traveled to Kalamazoo, Mich., for the eighth game of the season. Before kickoff, the stadium turned its attention away from the game to remember Reed with a moment of silence.

After the win, Ball State head coach Pete Lembo spoke about Bank’s composure as he dealt with the loss.

“The guy sitting over here to my right, it’s been a tough couple days on [Banks],” he said. “We’re all feeling for the Eastern Michigan football family right now, and in our own football family, we’re feeling for Horactio. How this guy handles himself, with all the adversity he’s seen in his life, he’s amazing. … He’s an amazing guy.”