Muncie to open first dog park

A new dog park will open up at Ashland and Pauline avenues later this month. There will be an annual fee of $25 to let your dog off the leash to play in the enclosed area. DN PHOTO ASHLEE HAYES

For an annual fee of $25, dog owners will soon be able to purchase a membership to Muncie’s first off-leash dog park, located a few blocks from campus.

They are not currently selling the memberships.

Muncie will open the dog park at Emerson Memorial Greenspace Park at Ashland and Pauline Avenues in a few weeks.

This will be the first place in Muncie where owners can take there dogs and let them off the leash.

“There has been a large outcry for a dog park,” said Phil Peckinpaugh, the directory of Muncie and Delaware County Animal Care and Services.

The park will officially open on Oct. 26 according to Peckinpaugh.

“The plan has been in motion for several years, but is now becoming a reality” Peckinpaugh said.

Included in the park will be agility equipment, pet waste stations and water fountains specifically for dogs. There are also plans to create a track around the park.

Peckinpaugh said the only requirements to getting a membership are that the dogs have up-to-date vaccinations and can play well with others.