Ball State implements student employments changes

The university has emailed student employees about making changes to procedures, but an official said undergraduate students should not see a change to their pay or hours.

Rolling Terminations

According to an email sent out Oct. 8, Student Employee News @ Ball State, sent to student employees, employment has moved to rolling terminations, which removes students who are no longer working from Payroll.

In the past, students who were hired would be renewed each academic year. Now, they will be terminated when their employment ceases, or when they stop working.

Student employment coordinator John Knox said using rolling terminations saves the university money because the university pays for a Kronos license for every employee on Payroll.

“It’s just a procedural process, a way to keep our books free of students who aren’t working,” he said. “This is a way to avoid that fee for people that are not working. It’s really helped save university money and make sure everyone has opportunity to be paid appropriately.”

Knox said he hopes the transition is seamless.

“We aren’t changing our policies as much as we are our procedures,” he said. “Students who are working shouldn’t see any difference in the way they are paid. Those things are primarily administrative.”

Twenty-Hour Workweek Compliance

To comply with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Ball State is paying closer attention to number of hours students work on campus, but the rules have not changed for undergraduate student employment.

According to student employment policy on hours, students may work up to 20 hours a week during Fall and Spring semesters.

Knox this policy has been in place for many years in order that student employees receive an exemption to contributing to Social Security and Medicare. Now, Ball State is more closely monitoring the policy for compliance with the ACA.

“[We are] paying closer attention to conditions we already had enforced but it is particularly important now that we pay close attention to 20-hour per week rule during course of academic year,” Knox said. “The ACA leaves us acutely aware of our compliance.”

In Student Employer News @ Ball State, sent out Oct. 8, said monitoring hours is primarily the responsibility of the students.

“While it is up to the students to monitor their hours, we will be asking departments to coordinate with the students in order to maintain compliance,” the newsletter said.
Students are still allowed to work more than 20 hours during breaks but how much extended time may be limited so they do not accumulate too many hours over the course of the year.

Graduate students have seen the largest change, since this year they are only allowed to work nine hours in on-campus employment to avoid conflict with PAPACA’s thirty-hour rule for employer shared responsibility for health care.

In the past, graduate students have been allowed to work an additional 10 hours in on-campus employment past their graduate assistantships of 20 hours.