Record number look to join Ball State sororities at Bid Day

New sorority members sit on the Quad during Bid Day Monday evening. DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY

This year’s record-breaking number of sorority recruits means increased competition for bids, the Panhellenic Council President said.

“I think every year our recruitment process is attracting some of the brightest students academically because of our successful academic years in the past,” said Kasie Sturm, Panhellenic Council President.

The number of women looking to join a sorority has increased this year to almost 600 recruits, which Sturm said is an “insanely high number.” She estimates 450 of those recruits received bids to become chapter members.

Chapters are expanding to make room for the increased number of recruits.

“Last year the average number of a chapter was around 39 or 40, and now this year it’s 49,” Sturm said. ”We’re really excited to see our community grow so fast in such a short amount of time.”

Freshman actuarial science major Alyssa Potts said she thought the process was competitive.

“The first round was very laid back, but if you don’t click with who you’re talking to then you don’t have a chance of being called back the next day,” Potts said. “It depends on the person you get.”

Girls must complete an “I Value” survey to determine which sororities align best with their values.

Sturm said academics is one of the greek community’s core values.

She said there is a cumulative GPA requirement for new members of 2.5. Those accepted must also maintain an average that is set by the sorority they join.

If potential members do not meet the academic requirements, they will not be allowed to join a sorority.

“We always encourage those women to take the year to really focus on their schoolwork and maybe go through the recruitment process as a sophomore,” Sturm said.