New head basketball coach discusses new style of offense, why he came to Ball State

James Whitford answers questions during the press conference where he was introduced to the university in the spring. Whitford is the men’s basketball head coach after coaching at Xavier and Arizona under Sean Miller. DN FILE PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Chief reporter Mat Mikesell sat down with the new Ball State men’s basketball head coach James Whitford to discuss his first few months on the job and expectations for the upcoming season. Whitford enters his first season at Ball State after spending eight seasons as part of Sean Miller’s staff at Xavier and Arizona. 

Q: Was Ball State’s biggest selling point was a place you could win at? Was Ball State’s biggest selling point was a place you could win at?

A: That was the biggest thing I looked at by far. I’ve been here when this place was really successful. I came here knowing that we had the resources to win. I’ve had the job for four and a half months, and I feel just as strongly — if not more strongly — about that now than when we took over. We can win here. We have what it takes to win here. A lot of people can’t say that, there’s certain jobs that are really challenging no matter who the head coach is.

Q: What will it mean for the school to get the basketball program back to competing for Mid-American Conference titles?

A: It’s a big deal. It’s something the student body can take great pride in. We have an incredible campus here and great student life. I think our program is one way to get that word out. For the basketball fans, it’s been a long time coming. It’s been since 2000 — 13 years ... since we won the conference and 13 years since we’ve been to the [NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament]. And people here care so much about basketball that I think that hurts everybody. To get back there would be a moment of pride for everybody.

Q: What’s something different the fans will see about this team right away?

A: We try to push the ball. A lot of teams fast break on missed shots, not a lot of teams fast break on made shots. We try to do both. It’s a real way to try and create tempo. What you’ll see from us incredible effort from the beginning to the end.

Q: Do you clock the team to see how fast it is?

A: Yeah, we try to run really fast [but] we don’t necessarily try to shoot fast. There’s a difference. I want to shoot fast if we have the right shot. We’re trying what we call “attack on the run.” We want to be the team that gets the ball over the half court in three seconds. A lot of our transition game is similar to North Carolina. Our offense is a similar style.

Q: What’s your goal for your first season?

A: I can’t give objective measurements. Our goal is always about our process — how to practice the right way, how to compete for championships the right way. We’ll learn to play hard together and execute like a high-level basketball team. Those are the measurements that matter to me the most. If we do or don’t win the league this year, some of those things are out of our control. We have to control what we can and reach our potential. That’s how I’ll measure this year.

Q: When did Ball State come on the map for you?

A: I was well aware this was a job that could open up in the next couple of years. I was at a point in my career I wanted to take that step. I had my eye on it for a couple of years. I had a meeting with someone at the [Pacific-12 Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament] and had a pretty good feel for what it was. As soon as it opened up, I was after it.

Q: What emotions will you have in your first game?

A: I’ve been a coach for 17 years, which is about 550 games. I’ve been nervous for all 550 and I don’t have any question 551 will be the same, but it’ll be fun. I’m looking forward to the year. I’m enjoying my role as a head coach and enjoying having creative control over the way we want to play.

Q: I noticed right away you were on the recruiting trail. Was that in part of getting things the way you want it right away?

A: I think one of the things I recognize as a head coach is I’m only as good as the people I put around me. That starts with the staff and then the players. You got to have the right talent level, the right competitive characters. It’s so critical for us to bring in the right people. Such a big part of our success is based on that. We’ve invested a lot of time trying to find those guys. It’s big any year, but it’ll be especially big this year because we have six scholarships available.