FOOTBALL: Redshirt freshman makes his first road trip

Jahwan Edwards is tackled by Martez Hester during the Spring Game at Scheumann Stadium on April 20, 2013. DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY

Martez Hester has never been to Texas.

Then again, there were a lot of things the Ball State safety hadn’t done before this season.

As he heads into the first road game of the season at North Texas, it will also be Hester’s first road game as a Ball State football player.

Hester has been in a trial by fire of sorts in the 2013 season. Few redshirt freshmen get the opportunity that Hester has this season. On Aug. 29, Hester made his first collegiate start against Illinois State, and got anther start the next week against Army.

“It was definitely exciting,” Hester said about his first start. “It was something I’ve never felt before. Just another level of excitement.”

He tallied five total tackles and one pass breakup in the 51-28 win against Illinois State.

“The first game was what I was expecting,” said Shannon Morrison, Ball State defensive backs coach. “The lights came on in his first college game. ... In the second half he came in and refocused him. Since then, he’s done well.”

Hester will be tested by North Texas’ quarterback, senior Derek Thompson. Thompson has averaged 272 yards passing per game in 2013. He has thrown for four touchdowns in 2013.

Of the 25 different players who have started at least one game this season, Hester is the youngest. He turned 19 last month.

Being so young, Hester has tried to bulk up and add weight to his long, 6-foot-2 frame.

“I feel like I have more mental toughness,” Hester said. “I’m mentally more prepared to play college football. I’ve improved on that.”

After being in Ball State head coach Pete Lembo’s program for about 18 months, Hester has begun to become accustomed to the speed of the college game.

“Everything happens faster and you have to know what you’re doing and make your decision fast,” Hester said. “You have to be more sure of yourself.

In his first two games, Hester has played next to senior Brian Jones. Jones has played in 24 games over his career, starting seven.

“If I’m unsure of something I can just ask him something because he’s a vet,” Hester said of Jones. “He definitely knows what he’s doing. He’s a guy I can rely on.”

Jones said he sees a little of himself in Hester.

“If anything, I feel like he’s done better than I did,” Jones said. “I see a lot of potential in him. He’s already done good things. I can’t wait to see him continue to play well.”

Jones called Hester an “athletic safety that can play from sideline to sideline.” Wide receiver Jamill Smith believes Hester may be the fastest player on the team.

Hester owns the North Cobb High School record for 200 meter dash and 400 meter dash.

He didn’t get to use his length and speed as much against Army, a triple-option team that ran the ball 64 times, but Hester should get more opportunities to go sideline to sideline against North Texas and as Mid-American Conference play begins.

The Mean Green averaged 41.5 rushing attempts per game in their first two contests.

“I just play hard. I try to work on not running to run at times,” Hester said. “I run around a lot; I try to slow down a lot. I just play fast.”

As the team travels to the Lone Star State on Friday, Hester can mark another first off the list in a season full of firsts.