FOOTBALL: Inconsistent running game not yet major concern for Ball State

Freshman running back Teddy Williamson contends with an Army defender during their game on Sept. 7. Williamson is part of a rushing attack that is behind last year’s pace. DN FILE PHOTO CORY OHLENKAMP

Horactio Banks admits running the ball has been tougher the past two games without Jahwan Edwards, who has missed time due to a concussion.

Ball State is averaging just 119.3 yards on the ground through the first three games, down from the 203.2 yards the team averaged all of last season.

“I feel like we can get a lot better in a lot of different areas,” Banks said. “Mistakes have been made all around, but we’re getting better every day at minimizing those mistakes.”

The tandem features a change-of-pace style of rushing attack. Edwards, the brute of a running back that wears down defenders, and Banks the quicker, more elusive of the two. Without Edwards, Banks has been put as the feature back in the offense and Teddy Williamson as the No. 2 backup.

Banks accepts the challenge of being the No. 1 back with Edwards out, but said it has been difficult.

The inconsistencies with the Cardinals’ running game hasn’t solely been because of Edwards’ absence against Army and North Texas, the team is also adjusting to new pieces on the offensive line.

“We just need to work on getting everyone playing well at once,” center Jacob Richard said. “All it takes is one guy on one play.”

Ball State got that one play in the loss against North Texas last Saturday.

Banks broke a 77-yard touchdown run in the first quarter against the Mean Green, putting the Cardinals ahead 13-3 at the time. The 77-yard run was the third longest touchdown run in program history.

But over half his yardage in the game came on the run. He finished with 141 total yards.

“It shows what we’re capable of and what we expect of ourselves,” Richard said. “We just need to building the chemistry. We’re very capable of putting plays together like that consistently.”

The Cardinals’ offense calls for short passing routes and screens that gain four yards consistently. If the running game isn’t working, offensive coordinator Rich Skrosky said the short passing game picks up the slack.

“To me, a screen that goes for six yards is the same as a running play,” Skrosky said. “People see a screen pass that goes for two yards and think it’s not that good. It’s the same as a two-yard run.”

The coaching staff knew the offensive line situation entering the season so the inconsistency in the running attack hasn’t been reason to panic. Ball State’s first two opponents — Illinois State and Army — both run defensive schemes that discourage offenses from running the ball.

But if the running game is still inconsistent later in the season, it will be a bigger concern.

“Every week we’ve gotten a little better,” Skrosky said. “Last week against North Texas was proof of that. We say it every day that it has to be a little better.”

Head coach Pete Lembo is hopeful that Edwards will return in Ball State’s Mid-American Conference opener against Eastern Michigan on Saturday.

If he does, Ball State will push to return to the normalcy of its running game with the tandem of Edwards and Banks. Edwards is looking forward to returning to action especially after Banks’ 77-yard touchdown run beat Edwards’ 75-yard touchdown run against Eastern Michigan last season.

“[Edwards] was like, ‘Don’t think you’ve got the speed because your longest run was two yards longer,’” Banks said with a laugh. “We’ve been talking to see who’s going to have the most explosive run this week.”