FOOTBALL: Ball State offense comes alive in fourth quarter to beat Toledo

Senior quarterback Keith Wenning, left, runs in with junior running back Jahwan Edwards for a touchdown against the University of Toledo on Sept. 28 at Scheumann Stadium. Edwards scored three touchdowns during the win. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Heading into the fourth quarter, Ball State had a 7-point lead on Toledo, the 2012 Mid-American Conference West’s second runner-up.

Saturday afternoon’s game ended with the same point lead, as Ball State beat Toledo 31-24.

However, the difference between the beginning of the fourth and the end of the fourth wasn’t the margin of victory — it was the total score. Both teams combined for 28 points in the game’s final 15 minutes after a combined zero points in the third quarter.

“It just seemed like [throughout the game], our receivers did a really nice job of getting to the sticks, knowing when they’re at the sticks and going down,” head coach Pete Lembo said. After making three catches, senior wide receiver Jamill Smith fumbled early in the second quarter, which lead to a Toledo offensive possession.

After that fumble, any time Smith would touch the football, he would go down voluntary to avoid contact and the potential for a second fumble. On a kickoff return in the fourth quarter, Smith broke free for 40 yards then found himself surrounded by tacklers. He slid down like a baseball player stealing third.

Junior running back Jahwan Edwards said he enjoyed his second consecutive three-touchdown game.

“I’m just happy to be playing,” Edwards said.

With his three scores, Edwards moved into sole position of second place of Ball State’s all-time leading touchdowns rushing record.

Edwards has 32 now, just two shy of Marcus Merriweather’s record 34 touchdowns rushing.

Senior quarterback Keith Wenning didn’t hit the deep passes with the same consistency and touch he displayed a week ago at Eastern Michigan University, but he finished 27-of-38 for 335 yards. In the first half especially, Wenning found junior wide receiver Willie Snead on sideline routes time and time again.

The quarterback also scored a touchdown rushing in the fourth quarter as the Toledo defense bit on a fake handoff to sophomore running back Horactio Banks. He kept the ball and ran to the left side of the line, while the defense followed Banks left. Wenning walked into the end zone untouched.

After the game, Wenning was nothing but complimentary of the opposing defense he had just beaten.

“They’re one of the most athletic defenses in the MAC,” Wenning said.

The defense proved its athleticism early in the fourth quarter as a pass meant for senior tight end Zane Fakes was tipped up in the air. Toledo’s Ross Madison tracked it in the air and came down with the ball.

On the game-winning drive, Wenning drove the Cardinals 71 yards down the field in eight plays, taking 3:13 off the clock.

Edwards scored off a 4-yard touchdown with 3:01 left in the contest.

In addition to the four total touchdowns rushing scored during the game, Ball State rushed for 128 yards.

“We earned those rushing yards today,” Lembo said. “You have to fight for those yards. I’m proud of how physical we were up front with the o-line, the tight ends and the way Jahwan and Horactio ran the ball.”

Wenning said the rushing attack helped open up some of his passes.

“[Edwards] and Horactio got us a running game and allowed us to pass the ball,” Wenning said.

On a day where both Toledo and Ball State ran 75 offensive plays each, Ball State came ahead in yards-per-play, 6.2 to 5.5.

“It was one of those days where you felt like everybody pulled their weight,” Lembo said. “Adversity, for sure. Mistakes, for sure. But I could point to all three units and say they did something productive to pull their weight.”