Dogs splash in Tuhey Pool at event

DN PHOTO KEELY COLLIER
DN PHOTO KEELY COLLIER

While wet feet walked and water was splashed, drenched fur was shaking and tongues were wagging at the first Drool in the Pool event at Tuhey Pool this afternoon. Dog owners from surrounding areas like Anderson, New Castle and Rushville came with their pups to enjoy the last, open day of Tuhey Pool. Dogs were swimming, running and drooling with excitement.

Canines of all breeds made an appearance at the event including Great Danes, Golden Retrievers, Boxers and a variety of different mixes.

Owner of Publisher for Muncie Voice, Todd Smekens, believed this will become an annual event for the Muncie community.

“We had such a broad spectrum this year; it’s a good way to close out Tuhey Pool,” Smekens said. “Drool in the Pool will add to the portfolio we offer here.”

Informational booths were set-up around the pool. Each booth offered different accommodations for dogs, like grooming care, microchipping, adoption and, of course, bone-shaped treats. The Animal Rescue Fund, ARF, had a booth offering pet adoption, toys and pet shampoo.

ARF volunteer, Dana Salkoski shared information about adoption and distributed many goodies for attendees and their four-legged friends.

“We are here promoting ARF; we are always looking for volunteers and adopters,” Salkoski said. “I think Drool in the Pool is great! A lot of people are here with a lot of cute dogs.”

Dog owner, Adam Berteram brought his black German Shepherd, Dexter. He hopes to mark this event on his calendar every year.

“I’m from New Castle and our pool doesn’t do this,” Berteram said. “It’s nice to bring our dog here and enjoy the day.”

Suzanne Baga brought her Boston Terrier, Mardi for a swim. Although Mardi wasn’t thrilled about swimming, Baga made the most out of their experience. Baga adopted Mardi from ARF and hopes more people will follow her footsteps.

“I hope even more people come out next year to support ARF and the Muncie Animal Shelter,” Baga said.

Games and entertainment were also offered at the event. A wet t-shirt contest took place for the dogs. Each participant ran his or her dog to a bucket full of water with a t-shirt submerged at the bottom. Whoever clothed his or her dog the quickest won the contest.

Drool in the Pool sponsor, Happy, Clean and Smart offers daycare, boarding, grooming and washing for dogs. Owner Kathie Onieal said she hasn’t seen one person with a negative attitude.

“No people argued and no dogs argued,” Onieal said. “I’m just seeing great joy in the dogs.”

Onieal thinks Drool in the Pool will grow once word-of-mouth spreads about the enjoyment and safety of the dogs at the event.

“People will realize that the dogs were safe and had a blast,” she said.

All of the general admission proceeds benefitted the Muncie Animal Shelter and ARF.