Cardinals expect Rockets want revenge from last season’s game

Toledo entered last season’s home game against Ball State as the No. 23 team in the country and with perfect record in the Mid-American Conference.

By the end of the November night, Ball State beat Toledo 34-27 and the Rockets’ hopes of a MAC West title were virtually ruined.

Every team looks to avenge a loss and Ball State expects an experienced Toledo group to be no different Saturday afternoon at Scheumann Stadium.

“Any team that beats you, you want to come back and beat them,” junior running back Jahwan Edwards said. “I know they feel like they were a step away from winning. It’s a game of inches and yards, so we’ll see.”

Ball State’s win at Toledo last season was a different one from looking at the box score. Toledo outgained Ball State in total yards 526 to 446 and intercepted quarterback Keith Wenning three times. Yet, it was Edwards’ 15-yard touchdown run with 1:43 left in the game that sealed the road win for the Cardinals.

However, the win at the Glass Bowl won’t implicate what happens Saturday.

“It’s a new year and a new team,” senior defensive tackle Nate Ollie said. “[Toledo] is still a good team and it’s still a big game. The only thing that’s changed is they aren’t ranked.”

Both teams enter the game off to 1-0 starts in the MAC and a win will give either a tiebreaker advantage that could potentially decide the West. Ball State’s defense limited Toledo from making big plays and made a crucial stop on a fourth and one run by running back David Fluellen that set up Edwards’ game-winning touchdown run.

It’ll take a similar effort from Ball State to beat Toledo for the second year in a row.

“The main thing is to do your job and force turnovers,” Ollie said. “The key to the game is tackling well cause Fluellen is a great back. And forcing turnovers.”

Saturday’s game is Family Weekend at Scheumann Stadium and many players, including Edwards, will have family in attendance. The crowd should make for a big game atmosphere, which will make Edwards that much more amped up for the game.

“My mom’s coming for Family Weekend,” Edwards said. “It’s also my second consecutive game of the season, so I’m ready. I’ve got my legs underneath me and I’m ready to play.”