Candlelight vigil brings National Suicide Prevention Week to Ball State

Carmen Diaz, a senior social work major, listens to a victim’s story at the Suicide Awareness Candlelight Vigil on Sept. 10th. The vigil honored victims and survivors of suicide and those with depression. DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS

Brandon Puszkiewicz recited a loved one’s name and lit a candle on the University Green to honor someone that he lost to suicide. Puszkiewicz, The Alive Campaign vice president of public relations, and many others sat in a circle with blue ribbons that represent suicide awareness and wrote “love” on their arms to raise awareness.

On Tuesday, The Alive Campaign hosted the candlelight vigil. At the ceremony, people came together and had the opportunity to light candles honoring lost loved ones or suicide attempt survivors.

The Alive Campaign Executive Director Carmen Diaz lost her dad, her uncle and a few close friends to suicide. Diaz said she feels it’s very powerful when people get involved to help each other cope.

“Suicide is a blacklisted topic and people don’t realize how many people are affected by it,” Diaz said. “The Alive Campaign really likes to bring people together. We love to see people unite over something that not many people are comfortable with dealing with.”

Diaz wants to show people they’re not alone and that help is available.

“It’s a strong sign of hope,” Diaz said.

Travis Muller is a sophomore and has been apart of the organization since his freshman year. He said this event truly does benefit people.

“I feel like the most powerful part of it is everybody does let their guard down to talk ... when we talk about those kinds of things that are hard to listen to and make you uncomfortable, that’s when the conversation begins and the good word starts to spread,” Mueller said.

Sophomore Neethi Jelaji has attended the candlelight vigil for the second year, it helped her realize something that might have saved her life.

“I feel like it’s something I need to do and honor those that have committed suicide,” Jelaji said. ”I’ve had my struggles with thoughts of suicide but I’ve gotten over it. I realized if you were given the chance to live you should do it.”

According to American Association of Suicidology, there are more than 1,000 suicides on college campuses per year across the nation. Members of The Alive Campaign want people to realize that they’re not alone and they have support. They said they believe everyone has a reason to live and suicide is one hundred percent preventable.

“Wherever you are in your journey there’s people out there with similar problems and they can help you get through it,” Diaz said.