Ball State Democrats, Republicans host 9/11 vigil

Students gather for the candlelight vigil to honor those who died in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. The students commemorated the anniversary with candle bags at the base of Shafer Tower with a brief moment of silence. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Democrats, republicans and fraternity brothers gathered Wednesday to commemorate the events of 9/11 with a candlelight vigil around Shafer Tower. The University Democrat and Republican organizations hosted the event.

“It’s always special on days like this when we bring into remembrance what really matters,” said University Democrat president Jason Pickell. “When it comes down to it, there are bigger things out there than partisanship.”

Pickell said this event is what politics are all about.

“In our day in age we have such partisan bickering and such divided politics,” he said. “Back in the golden age of politics, we all used to work together, and it wasn’t considered something bad to cross the aisle and talk to the other party and draft bills and legislation.”

This is not the only time of the year that both organizations are willing to come together.

”We’re really out to do what’s best for our campus and our community,” said University Republican secretary Brittany McMurray. “We really put political views aside for this, and I think we do pretty often to do what’s best for Ball State.”

Although the evening began with talking and jokes about the bags holding the candles falling over, it ended with solemnity, lights and silence for the fallen.

“We wanted it to be more respectful than a big, fun event," McMurray said. "We wanted it to be kind of solemn in memory of those people."

Members of the Ball State fraternity Sigma Nu joined to pay their respects.

“I was chilling on Facebook and saw. I just emailed all my brothers and asked if anyone wanted to come to the vigil,” said senior Drew Bogs. “It just really hit me strong when I was a kid in fourth grade. It really impacted me and my life ever since.”