RibFest hosts 14th year of food, music in downtown Muncie

Emily Steiner sells halos, T-shirts and cider slushies at last year’s Muncie RibFest. Steiner worked for the Old Washington Street Festival booth. DN FILE PHOTO SHAE GIST

What began as a small community center fundraiser kicks of its 14th year as downtown Muncie gears up for Muncie RibFest. 

The event features food from vendors, a zipline, live music and competitions. 

RibFest has been moved further south than previous years to Canan Commons, 500 S. Walnut St., in Muncie. Organizers want to take advantage of the area’s permanent outdoor stage and spacious grass lawns. 

“It’s built for festivals,” said Muncie Downtown Representative Cheryl Crowder. 

The move also allows more streets to the north to remain open for the weekend of the celebration. 

While attendees can make their own decision on who sells the best meat, RibFest will host a formal competition among the nine rib vendors to determine the best barbecue.  

First place wins a trophy and a radio promotional package. Public viewing of the contest begins at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday. The contest rules specify that the winners must have enough ribs to serve all hours of both days of RibFest. 

RibFest invites festival-goers with a competitive spirit to compete in the Dr. Feel Good Karaoke Contest. The competition has separate categories for adults and children. Semifinals are from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday and finals from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday. Contestants will be judged on general voice quality, showmanship and song selection. Winners will receive meals at Texas Roadhouse. 

More than 30 bands will play across three stages over the course of the festival. Destiny Christian Center International presents Indianapolis based gospel artist Lamar Campbell and the Spirit of Praise at 2 p.m. on Sunday.

The event also offers other attractions, including a kid’s area with inflatable play areas and games, a car show and arts and crafts vendors.  

Admission is $5 for adults, and children under 10 enter for free. Organizers expect 4,000 to 5,000 people to attend. Ball State students can take the MITS bus to the event, which will run on a continuous loop from noon to 10 p.m.