About 100 people camp out for free Chick-fil-A raffle

Tents cover the Chick-fil-A parking lot as people wait for the grand opening of the location on McGalliard Avenue. The first 100 people to camp out for a full 24 hours were entered in a raffle to win 52 chicken sandwich coupons, good for the next year.

The parking lot of the Chick-fil-A off McGalliard Avenue turned into a campsite for the grand opening at 1 p.m.

The first 100 people in line at 6 a.m. were put into a raffle to win 52 coupons for chicken sandwich meals for the year.

The catch is that they have to stay on the businesses premises for 24 hours to collect their prize.

Ball State alumnae and Muncie residents Renee Henmelgarn and Valerie Landis showed up at 5:30 a.m.

Since then, they have been reading books and hanging out to pass the time.

This is the third opening Hemmelgarn has attended.

"[I go] mostly because it's fun," she said.

They said the positive energy Chick-fil-A offers makes the wait worth it.

Landis said about 10 percent of the crowd are from Muncie. Many of the other campers travel from opening to opening.

Daniel and Whitney Bennett, along with their four kids, came from Illinois for their chance at free Chick-fil-A.

They arrived at 4 a.m. Since then their kids have enjoyed the games and prizes the staff had provided.

Whitney said winning the coupons would allow them to go get free chicken sandwich meals for the family about once a month.