10 app must-haves for the on-the-go Ball State student

DN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION JORDAN HUFFER AND ROSS MAY

By the second week of classes, students have sized up their textbook lists, Amazon packages have begun appearing on doorsteps and trips to the store have left people with a bouquet of pens and stack of fresh notebooks. But, you may be passing up important resources that are only a tap away. 

Check out the top 10 most useful applications for smartphone-wielding students. 

1. Evernote 

Free

iOS and Android

Evernote is a note-taking app that helps you keep track of text and audio notes, save entire web pages and share material with other users. Accessing your notes is easy because Evernote syncs with a cloud server, so the app is nearly universal. Jot your notes in class on your laptop, then use the mobile app to review them while you’re waiting in line to take your test. It’s that easy. 

2. iStudiez Pro

Mobile: $2.99, Mac App: $9.99

iOS and Mac OSX 

Apple fans can use this multi-device system to track assignments and keep organized. Have a changing schedule with classes that rotate in and out? Input some basic information about your class and iStudiez Pro makes it easy to see your week or day at a glance, with no need to hack and slash your way through a clunky Self-Service Banner interface. After you’ve added your classes, you can use iStudiez Pro to track your assignments and rate them by priority to keep your workflow effective and efficient. Like Evernote, iStudiez Pro works across multiple devices, so it’s easy to access your information, no matter where you are. There is also a free version, iStudiez Lite, so that you can test the features before you buy. 

3. StudyBlue

Free

iOS, Android and Web

StudyBlue aims to provide students with a comprehensive flashcard app that allows users to create, review and share their own study materials. Users can incorporate pictures, text and audio to create custom review materials and the “Classes” function allows users in the same courses to share their materials with each other. StudyBlue tracks user responses and provides them with study statics that can help students better understand how they learn. The app can even be set to provide reminders to study, potentially saving it from the download-and-ditch death that many study apps experience. 

4. bConnected

Free

iOS, Android

This Ball State based app makes it easy to navigate anything Cardinal related. Look up your GPA, check your grades and receive academic reminders through the app. It also links to the MyBSU Self-Service Banner to access any and all important university information. The “My Connections” feature allows you to see which students are in your classes, provides contact information and supports a custom communication network based on these contacts. 

5. Dictionary.com

Free

iOS, Android

The title is self-explanatory. But this dictionary comes with a lot of features that its hardback counterparts could never match. First of all, no Internet connection is needed to access most content, so you can get to the important stuff no matter where you are. On top of just telling you what words mean, some entries include diagrams and background on the word origin. The app packs double the punch with its built in thesaurus feature. Dictionary.com also provides a trending feature that lets you know what words people near you are looking up. Fonts are customizable for better readability and if you need just one more reason, the Word of the Day will help you expand your vocabulary. 

6. Wikipanion

Free 

iOS

Your professor might not like you using Wikipedia as a source for that research paper you’ve been putting off, but there’s hardly a better way to get some quick info on a topic than this free encyclopedia. The Wikipanion client connects directly to the Wikipedia servers to provide a fast, smooth way to navigate the site. Bookmark your most accessed pages and easily save images to the iOS library. The sleek and easy handling of this app makes it a must for any student with a free space on their iPhone front page. 

7. Google Drive

Free

iOS, Android

The mobile version of this service provides all the same features as the web version. Create, save and share documents, pictures, video and nearly any other type of file you can think of. All of this on the go. You and your cohorts can still collaborate and edit documents simultaneously, wherever you are. Google Drive is fully integrated with your Google account, so getting started is as simple as checking your Gmail. The 15GB of free cloud storage that comes with the service isn’t too shabby either. 

8. Khan Academy

Free

Official: iOS, unofficial apps available for Android

Khan Academy provides any Internet user with free college level courses on nearly any topic, providing you a personal tutor or a way to get ahead of the game. The official app allows users to carry Khan Academy’s extensive and growing collection of more than 4,200 video lectures in their pocket. Track your progress through any and all courses and enjoy the resources of an organization that seeks to provide “a free world-class education for anyone anywhere.”

9. Wolfram|Alpha

$2.99

iOS, Android, Nook, Kindle Fire

Own all of computational engine Wolfram|Alpha’s data and analytics right in your pocket. Perform calculations and research information on any of Wolfram|Alpha’s ever increasing list of domains, which includes mathematics, physics, engineering, astronomy and more. This app also sells more concentrated course-based reference apps for topics including music theory, calculus, chemistry and a number of others. This self-proclaimed “‘Star Trek’ computer” makes reference and studying a breeze. 

10. AudioNote

$4.99

iOS, Android

This two-in-one audio recorder and notepad makes it easy to take notes and access the information at any time. Summarize your professor’s key points with a text note while recording and the app will make a timestamp. Then you can tap the text to jump to that point in the audio recording. The combination makes for the optimal self-studying resource. Import and write over PDF documents and upload your files to Dropbox or iCloud to free up space on your phone. A Lite version of this app is also available for free if you’d like to try before you buy.