The Queen’s Ball raises more than $1K for kidney transplant

It takes a special woman to get in front of a crowd of people and perform. With a spotlight showcasing every imperfection, her hair, make-up and stage presence has to demand the audience’s attention. 

Luckily for the performers at The Queens Ball, they were working with a little something extra. 

Eleven drag queens and three drag kings lip synced for during the masquerade themed drag show in Ball Gymnasium on Saturday. 

Even though the show was free, the audience wasn’t stingy with their money, tipping the performers with more than $1,000. The cash was donated to Karen Maddox, a family friend of one of the performers, to help her receive a kidney transplant. 

“We were right around $600 before Chi Chi Leche took the stage as the final performer, and she helped raise $500,” host Bennett Williamson said. 

Senior fashion merchandising and apparel design major Joey Torres has been performing as Chi Chi Leche since his freshman year. Saturday’s show was his final performance as a Ball State student. 

Performing twice, Torres worked the crowd with full volume wigs pinned to his head, fake breasts and his tights stuffed with hip pads. During both of his performances, Torres lost his fake breast while dancing. 

“It’s a very bittersweet feeling leaving,” Torres said. “It’s something that I love to do and I have grown as a performer since being her. I’m definitely going to miss it.” 

The show started off with Robyn Simore emerging from the curtain with a pig nose plastered on her face. She did a Miss Piggy, Beyonce and Lady Gaga mash-up. 

For some of the audience members it was the first drag queen they have seen perform, including sophomore social work major Cassie Gruettert. Gruettert attended the drag show to offer support to her friend Dalton Cromer, who performed as Zsa Zsa La Femme. 

“It’s really eye opening and different; everyone here is so open and accepting it’s amazing,” Gruettert said. “I didn’t know what to expect and I know that I want to go to anther show soon.” 

It was the first time for a lot of performers to premiere their drag persona, including Zsa Zsa La Femme. After seeing the drag show in October, Cromer, a sophomore photojournalism major, decided he wanted to try it and began preparing. 

“It felt really good to be on stage, and see the crowd having such a good time,” Cromer said. 

Cromer took the stage third and the crowd immediately flooded the stage with tips. He performed to a Beyonce medley and included a choreographed routine, all while in heels. 

“I had a lot more choreography planned, but when they were at the stage with money, I thought it would be better to interact with them,” Cromer said. 

For the drag show veterans, the show did not disappoint. Sophomore journalism major Kerris Guinn came to support the queens and have a good time.

“They are all such talented performers and they have so much to offer,” Guinn said. “It’s great to see people who are so passionate get up and put on a show.”