Temperature-rising trends fit for the summer heat

DN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION COREY OHLENKAMP
DN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION COREY OHLENKAMP

Now that you’ve finally shed that bulky winter coat, it’s time to stand out and rock the new summer fashions. This summer’s trends are far from the typical cutoff blue jeans and spaghetti strap tank tops; Summer 2013 is about mixing vibrant, delicate, chic and shabby looks together for a classy but funky combination. With summer right around the corner, hit the mall and thrift shops to stock up on a few of these new summer fashions. 

Longer Lengths and Higher Waistlines:

Ladies, the micro jean cutoffs have got to go. Not only are they uncomfortable, they’re unflattering and leave nothing to the imagination. Modest is hottest, right? Opt for looser, mid- or high-waisted shorts to elongate the legs and waist. Try making shorts the focal point of the outfit by choosing patterned or colored shorts. Details make all the difference, so try styles with scalloped or lace edges. Maxi dresses and skirts have stood their ground and are back in style this summer. The longer length is simple but chic, and a nice break from shorts. Try a plain tank top tucked into a maxi skirt with a large statement necklace and you can’t go wrong. 

Guys, don’t think you’re off the hook. First, step away from the cargo shorts; no one needs that many pockets. Second, don’t mistake your shorts for capri pants. Shorts should hit above or around the knee, never below. Mix a pastel button-up or a crew neck tee with a pair of darker colored straight-leg shorts for a cheery but tailored look. 

Lace and Crochet:

Lace is sweet and delicate, and light in the hot July sun. Lace skirts and shorts are a new take on an already established pattern. Lace shorts are great for their intricate detail and versatility, making them a “look at me” piece. Try dressing up lace shorts with a white blazer and wedges for a night out or dressing them down with flats and a graphic tee for a day of running errands. Kill two birds with one stone by buying a pairs of shorts with layers of lace, making lace ruffles; ruffles are also in this summer.

With crochet you can bare some skin, without putting it all out there. A three-quarter length large crochet shirt makes you feel covered, without the weight of a long sleeve shirt. An oversized crochet top flows seamlessly into bright skinny jeans, making a stylish summery outfit with more coverage. If coverage isn’t an issue, try a crochet crop top and a bandeau with high-waisted jean shorts — the bohemian music-festival look.

Neon and Emerald Green: 

Say goodbye to the dreary winter colors, and hello to neon. Almost every summer outfit needs a burst of bright color. Try chartreuse pants with a tan, flowy top for a balanced look. Or throw on a bright necklace, such as a pink bubble necklace with a plain dress. You can even mix multiple neon-colored items for a more colorful look. Try a bright blue top with skinny jeans and an orange belt. Make sure you don’t go overboard on the neon — it’s not meant to be an ‘80s costume party. 

The color of the season is green, specifically emerald green, The best way to incorporate each year’s “color” without breaking your budget, is to buy a few inexpensive statement pieces. I bought a pair of emerald green skinny jeans, but a pair of shorts or a top would both be great buys. Colors of the season usually carry over into the next; so don’t worry about your purchase going out of style too quickly. Mint green and turquoise blue, colors from previous seasons, continue to be buyer favorites, but emerald is soon to outshine the two. 

Denim and More Denim: 

White denim is always in for summer; this year try mixing it with mauves and tans for a monochromatic, fresh and clean look. Nothing says summer like sun-kissed skin contrasting white hues. Next, put that denim shirt to good use. Layer a jean shirt over a sundress and knot or belt it in the front, for a unique extra layer on a chilly night. A jean vest is also a great layering piece. 

Guys, denim is your best friend. Faded denim shirts and colored jeans are great staple pieces you can mix and match. Hit up the thrift stores for a few inexpensive denim shirts you can layer over tees or wear alone; the worn, washed look will look casual and carefree with colored shorts. 

Chain Jewelry and Layers:

While I wouldn’t usually suggest picking up your fashion tips from a rapper, 2 Chainz had it right this time. Big, gold chains are back. Mix a chunky gold chain bracelet with a slim watch to balance a colorful outfit with some metallic. You can even wear a large chain necklace, but keep it short, almost choker style. 

Because layering clothes is not an option in the heat, layering jewelry is the way to go. A mixture or small beaded bracelets can be the pop of color an outfit needs; if layering bracelets, keep them light and fun. Also, try layering simple gold or silver necklaces of different lengths for added glimmer to plain dress or tank top. 

Shapes and Cutouts:

Classes may be almost over, but geometry is still in session. Patterns of repeating shapes such as paisley, stripes, florals and checks are must haves this summer. The key to bold patterns is pairing them correctly. Try a daring checkered dress with neutral accessories or try mixing a defining pattern like paisley trousers with a delicate pattern like a thin striped horizontal shirt. Don’t be afraid to mix those patterns. 

Geometric shapes are everywhere this summer, including cut out of tops. Backless and shoulderless flowy blouses are flirty and airy. Look for unique necklines with square or triangle cutouts; they can add flare to a single color dress without needing a lot of accessories.