Drag show to raise money for kidney transplant fund

Prepare the eyelash glue, overstated eye make-up and supersized bottles of hairspray because it’s lights, camera, drag this Saturday at Ball Gymnasium.

Hosting The Queen’s Ball drag show is Ball State’s LGBTQ organization Spectrum. Anyone is welcomed to join even if not a Ball State student, Muncie resident or that identifies with LGBTQ at the 8 p.m. show. 

“I like to call it alphabet soup, if you’re a letter, we have a place,” Spectrum president Jaime whitaker said when describing the organization.

Flaunting a masquerade theme, 16 acts and 11 people will perform at The Queen’s Ball. Performances range from choreographed dances, improv, live singing, lip-syncing and plenty of interaction with the crowd. 

Admission is free for the show, but donations are encouraged. All proceeds will go toward helping Karen Maddox, who needs a kidney transplant. 

A family friend of Whitaker for about 10 years, Maddox’s Great Lakes Transplant Fund was approved last October. 

Maddox wants to receive a transplant to get back to her everyday life of working and playing with her grandchildren, according to helphopelive.org. 

“What could be better than going to a drag show that’s raising money for a great cause?” Whitaker said. 

Hosting this gown-wearing, lip-puckering show twice a year, Spectrum raises money for a different charity, organization or cause each time. Donations have assisted charities and organizations such as SOHO, Muncie’s Habitat for Humanity and Muncie Outreach in the past. Raising more than $960 at the Fall Semester’s drag show, Whitaker wants to raise $1,000 at The Queen’s Ball. 

Most charities and organizations don’t attend the show, but this year Maddox will watch the performances. 

“This will be great because we will be able to share more information with the audience about who we’re donating to,” Whitaker said.

Hosts Bennett Williamson and Kayla Battle are ready to see what this year’s performers have in store for the crowd.

“It’s amazing how the performers can transform, dress-up and even walk in heels,” Battle said. “They can just entertain so well.”

Williamson thinks all Ball State students should let their inner glitter shine and have some fun at the show. 

“I feel that drag is seen as something that is really out-there and different, but it can be very relatable,” Williamson said. “Anyone can see themselves in the work of a drag queen, king or performer.”

MARG

WHAT: The Queen’s Ball

WHEN: Saturday at 8 p.m.

WHERE: Ball Gymnasium 

COST: Free, all tips to performers will be donated to the Karen Maddox kidney transplant fund.

If interested in making a contribution to Maddox’s transplant fund, visit helphopelive.org.