114 participate in Jeff Clevenger 5k Run for multiple sclerosis research

Huddled together on the crisp Saturday morning, runners gathered at the starting line. Some helped each other pin on their bibs while others double checked to make sure their time chip was weaved tightly into their shoelaces.

After some announcements thanking all the people who donated and helped support the Jeff Clevenger 5K, the speaker shouted to the runners to begin the race. 

The event was able to successfully use chip timing, something never done in the race’s past. This helped participants find out quickly who were the winners in the event. 

The money has yet to be calculated, but Exercise Science Club president Erin Yeoman wants to reach more than $5,000. Although 200 people originally signed up, 114 people participated in the race, most likely due to the chilly weather conditions.

Before the race, Ball State students and Muncie residents met inside of Northside Middle School for a health fair put, which had booths with health and nutrition information, while others demonstrated exercises.

The goal Saturday was not only to raise money and support a good cause, but to also bring people together who care about multiple sclerosis. Ball State student Claire Wiley lost her grandmother to effects from multiple sclerosis before she was born. 

Wiley walked with her mom Dana Cochran for support, but the event also served as a part of their mother-daughter day. 

“We walked most of the time but we crossed the finish line strong,” Wiley said.