‘The Vagina Monologues’ play to benefit A Better Way

Lay Austin performs in front of the VDAY projected images during a run of “The Vagina Monologues” Sunday in Pruis Hall. The performance works to bring women’s issues regarding sex and society into the spotlight. DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY

When Samantha Ellison directed “The Vagina Monologues” as a freshman, she never thought the performance would be the last time she saw her mom. After passing from a sudden heart attack, Ellison knew she had to continue directing Ball State’s version of the off-Broadway hit. 

Now the senior women and gender studies major is overseeing the show for the third time. Presented by Feminists for Action, “The Vagina Monologues” has stayed dear to Ellison’s heart not only in memory of her mom but to make a difference.

“Through the connection with my mom and the support of my friends, ‘The Vagina Monologues’ makes me feel like I’m making a difference,” Ellison said. “I want to make women appreciate themselves, gain more confidence and to think more positively.”  

Written by Eve Ensler in 1996, “The Vagina Monologues” represents varying women with different experiences including rape, love, sex, masturbation and birth. Each story acknowledges the hardships and advantages of being a female. The performance promotes women empowerment and love for their vaginas and bodies. 

Allowing women from all backgrounds and experiences to tell their stories, Ellison believes this play will stay with its audience. 

“‘The Vagina Monologues’ allows women to talk openly about their sexuality, being raped or molested and gaining their collective power within themselves and with other women as one, powerful unit,” Ellison said. “It’s so neat to see women come together through pain and suffering by sharing their stories.” 

Freshman psychology major Madison Turner, who performs the monologue “Because He Liked to Look at It,” summarized the play as a chance for women to stand up against violence and negativity toward women. 

“‘The Vagina Monologues’ helps women come together and celebrate,” Turner said. “It also supports women who have been through domestic violence.”

All proceeds from the show go to A Better Way in Muncie, which provides shelter and services for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.

Turner decided to participate in the show not only because of Women’s Week but also because she wants to promote women’s rights. 

“I support women equality,” Turner said. “I wanted to give back in a way that I feel passionate about.”

The play isn’t just for women. Turner encourages men to open their minds and learn something new. 

“I think it is good for every man to come see this play and get inside our heads,” Turner said with a smile. “Step outside your comfort zone because you never know what you will learn.”

MARG

What: “The Vagina Monologues”

When: 7:30 p.m. Tuesday

Where: Pruis Hall

Cost: $5 

Tickets will not be sold at the door but instead may be bought in the Student Center room 116, the Multicultural Center or from cast members.