Local venue, student to host Oxfam benefit show

In addition to enjoying local bands and 50 cent PBR, music fans can show their support for an international relief organization tonight at Be Here Now. At 9 p.m., three local bands will play in a benefit show for Oxfam America. The $5 cover collected at the door will be donated to the organization.

The first band starts at 10 p.m., and the event will include an ethical and educational component. Ball State’s Oxfam club will be in attendance to pass out literature and talk to guests. The venue will be decorated with informative posters about Oxfam’s goals and their current campaign about brand awareness. 

“Sometimes when we, in the western world, buy from major multinational corporations we’re actually giving money to companies that are exploiting farmers down at their lowest level,” said Talley Gale, Ball State’s Oxfam club president and a junior acting major. 

The campaign aims to educate consumers about which brands engage in unfair business practices, the nature of this abuse and what individuals can do about it. 

Sophomore sociology and women’s studies major Emily Myren organized the event. As Be Here Now’s open mic night organizer, Myren approached the Oxfam Club at Ball State with her idea for a fundraiser. 

Be Here Now’s enthusiasm for the cause extends beyond their financial contributions. The venue’s kitchen caters to vegan and vegetarian tastes and makes an effort to acquire locally-grown organic food. 

Myren said that each band performing has a different role or reason for doing the show. The first act, Peter Dragoo, a senior tcomm major, had previously expressed interest to Myren about doing a benefit show, so he was naturally included when the roster was decided.  

“I’ve been looking for a reason to throw together a full band,” said Dragoo. “I usually just play acoustic by myself and I’ve always had ideas of how to further elaborate on my tunes and I’ve just been itchin’ to sit down with some friends and hammer our some solid static songs.”

Second act Part-Time Hero’s crowd communication skills was a solid way to get the message to attendees. Myren herself plays in the third and final band, The Appomattox. 

Oxfam targets its philanthropy to individuals and small communities. It gives livestock and crops to those in impoverished regions in hopes that they would be able permanently sustain a greater livelihood. The organization promotes this as an ethical, fair and effective way to combat poverty.

“The fact that Be Here Now is a local venue and the bands are local bands completely ties in because it’s taking it back to your roots and taking it back to what you know is going to be really ethical practices,” Gale said.

The organizers hope to raise enough money to build a preschool, send a few units of livestock and start a vegetable garden. The event boasts an unorthodox mood to philanthropy. 

“You don’t get a lot of opportunities to go to a bar and drink and hear awesome music and still feel like you’re making a good impact in the world,” Myren said.