12th annual Muncie Gras to turn downtown bars, streets into one big party

Brian Howensten pours a beer from an outdoor stand as he works with another vendor. Muncie Gras is this Saturday. DN FILE PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

Downtown Muncie is normally quiet, but empty streets will soon be overrun with drag queens, belly dancers and mechanical bull riders at this year’s 12th annual Muncie Gras celebration. From 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Saturday, the 21-and-over mix of college students and locals can listen to the twelve bands perform, participate in games such as human bowling, indulge in fair foods and enjoy the main attraction of the event — the booze.

“It’s pretty much the same great party we’ve always thrown,” said Cheryl Crowder, Downtown Development event director. 

New additions this year are a zipline and a Budweiser build-a-bar featuring four TVs where attendees can view the NCAA finals. 

Last year’s event boasted a record turnout of around 9,000 people. Despite the colder temperatures this year, organizers are expecting a turnout of around 5,000 to 7,000 people. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the gate. 

The Muncie Downtown Development Partnership coordinates the event, organizing community partners and making collective financial decisions, such as setting drink prices. The Grove, a student-oriented housing development, is this year’s sponsor. 

Muncie Gras has come a long way since the event was first hosted in 2001. Organizers did not expect the event to become Muncie’s most anticipated party. Sixteen bars moved for one night only to the then empty downtown. The event was not gated off, the February date made for colder weather and toilets ran short. Crowder, who has organized every Muncie Gras, described it as “wonderful madness.” 

Since the event is centered around drinking, it’s fitting that many bars are hosting the main attractions: 

Heorot 

The bar is hosting a private beer tasting with all proceeds going to the charity Action for Animals. Tickets are $10. Six breweries are being represented. The Valhalla room will be open to the Muncie Gras public after 9 p.m.

Silo 

At the Silo, visitors will have the opportunity to take their picture with a 30-foot inflatable Captain Morgan pirate as well as with “Fireball Whiskey Girls.” Karaoke will run from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. and the DJ Cool Hand Lex will perform from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Patrons can buy specialty shots or The Captain Morgan Original Hurricane at one of Silo’s three bars: The Outdoor Captain/Hurricane Bar, the Patron Bar and the Fireball Whiskey Bar. 

Columbia Theater

Muncie Gras attendees will be able to visit Village bars inside the Columbia Theater. Cleo’s bartenders will serve the bar’s signature whiskey/bourbon shots. Red Bird Tequila and Taco Bar will also be represented by selling margarita buckets and tequila shots. Columbia will also unveil their newly remodeled Backstage Bar. Visitors can participate in in a five-round wet T-Shirt contest with a grand prize of $100. Columbia will host three live bands, The Bashville Boys at 8:30 p.m., Webcam Teenz at 9:30 p.m., The Cocaine Wolves at 10:30 p.m. DJ Dimitry begins at midnight. 

Folly Moon

The bar will bring back the now-closed Doc’s Music Hall for one night only. The lineup for the night includes Doc’s Jazz Kitchen at 7 p.m., Apathy Wizards at 8 p.m., Fossil Generation at 9 p.m., Tonal Caravan at 11 p.m. and Blue Sky Carnival Band at midnight.  

Other bars participating in the event include:

Mark III

Fickle Peach

Mr. Mouse

Big Shots Pub

Red Dog