Students ready to be ‘amazed’ by Blue Man Group

Creative. Funny. Inventive. Captivating. Entertaining. Colorful. Unexpected.  

Those are only a few of the words reviewers on ticketmaster.com strung in their compliments for shows put on by the Blue Man Group. 

The show that incorporates music, art and theatrics has Ball State students, like Mitch Hannon, intrigued by what they will see tonight and tomorrow night during Blue Man Group’s performances in John R. Emens Auditorium. 

The sophomore telecommunications major bought his tickets in August. 

Hannon and nine others bought their tickets together during the third week of school as soon as they heard about the show. 

“We wanted to buy our tickets way beforehand so we would have them and none of us would be left out or forget,” Hannon said.  

The show features three bald, blue men that entertain audience members without speaking one word. Without words, the men use imagination, drums, LED lights and food to keep the audience entertained during the 95-minute show. 

Hannon said he doesn’t know what to expect from the show. This will be his first time seeing the show, and he is ready to be amazed. 

“We are sitting really close to the stage and right behind the splash zone,” Hannon said. “I honestly can’t wait. I just want to know what the show is about and hope it lives up to the hype.” 

Emens has been advertising the event with ads, billboards and TV spots to more than just the Ball State community. Their goal was to draw in people from all over central Indiana. 

Emens Associate Director of Marketing Sherri Contos said it’s the biggest show of the year, and Emens has been working hard to let the public know about it. 

“It’s a big deal,” Contos said. “People are going to be entertained the entire time and students should take advantage of having such a big show come to campus for such a cheap price.”

Tickets for students run between $30 and $35 depending on where they sit. 

Brooklyn Tuttle, a senior hospitality and food management major, is taking advantage of the opportunity. She bought her boyfriend Greg Morris, who is a big fan, tickets for Valentine’s Day. 

“I remember hearing about it on the radio a while back, but I didn’t know that I would end up going,” Morris said. 

Tuttle surprised Morris last week with the tickets tucked inside his Valentine’s card. Morris has wanted to see the group perform for a long time. 

“I know percussion is a big part of it, and they have some crazy visuals, but other than that I’m completely in the dark about it,” Morris said. “I’m ready for a completely new experience.” 

Megan Standish, a junior psychology major, knows what she is getting into. She has seen the Blue Man Group twice before. As a 21st birthday present to herself, she is seeing them again. 

“Luckily, it was a cheap present,” Standish said. 

The first two times Standish saw the show in Chicago, she said it was the same exact act, but is excited to see any new changes put into the show at Emens. 

“It’s the most exciting show I’ve ever seen,” Standish said. “There is so much talent involved and it is simply amazing. Everyone should see the show at least once in their life.” 

MARG

What: Blue Man Group

When: 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday 

Where: John R. Emens Auditorium

Cost: $30-$35 for students; $39-$59 for adults