COMMON NONSENSE: Pet peeves of those of us not Spring Break-ing in Cancun

Anna Ortiz is a junior journalism major and writes "Common Nonsense" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily reflect the views of the newspaper. Write to Anna at aeortiz@bsu.edu.

When you work two jobs and wonder how your peers can afford an iPhone and a Spring Break flight to Miami when you’re barely able to make rent, the week before the big break can put you on full snark-mode. For those stepping onto a cruise ship while the rest of us are dusting off our hometown work uniforms, here are some things to avoid:

Pre-break bragging 

Put down the brochures before the travel agency starts paying you commission. Yes, that picture of the hammock resting under a palm tree at sunset looks fantastic. Traveling is a valuable experience, but keep the overt bragging to the minimum to avoid the “Oh, I’m sure you have more opportunity than I do because of sheer merit, anyways,” eye roll from your cash-strapped peers. Also, go easy on the “natural tan” you’re trying to accomplish before vacation. It’s February in Indiana, we know it, you know it and the people of Mexico/Florida/California will too.   

The social media parade 

It’s a good way of keeping contact with friends back home and family, but the keg-stand is sure to not impress Dad or anyone else. There are certain updates and pictures we could live without. Avoid using phrases on your “Cancun 2013” souvenirs for statuses. It makes it all the more blatant that you don’t know Spanish. Also, one more “gang’s all here” bikini shot on the beach may result in many Facebook un-friendings.

The slideshow that follows 

If you can Google “Spring Break” and “MTV” and find creepily identical pictures to the ones you are about to show-off, it might be best to press delete. Sure, we would love to see a sweet view of the ocean, a dolphin or two or some Mayan ruins. But a group photo that could be mistaken for the inside of a Cheetos bag, not so much.